Jul 20, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
New Philadelphia GM Sam Hinkie is taking his time picking a coach for the Sixers. There was not one in place for the draft, not one for Summer League. He’s interviewing a handful of candidates, but there is no rush.
Sixers’ legend Charles Barkley doesn’t get it. At all.
Barkley doesn’t mince words and didn’t do so speaking with Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia on Friday.
“I think that’s one of the silliest things that I’ve seen in sports in a long time,” Barkley said on Comcast SportsNet’s Friday edition of “Philly Sports Talk.” “I’m in Philly during the summer as you know, and I’m watching and reading every day — to not have a coach under contract by now, I think that’s a joke. I don’t know what they’re waiting on. You’re playing summer-league games, people need to know who’s in charge. They got players who are playing in the summer league, they got assistant coaches coaching the team. You just can’t bring somebody in, and him have instant credibility — he has to build rapport with the players.”
Where the Sixers are in their coaching search depends on whom you ask. Thy reportedly are interviewing Heat assistant David Fizdale, Hawks assistant Quin Snyder, Spurs assistant Brett Brown, and also Kenny Atkinson. Also Sixers assistant Michael Curry, who coached the Summer League team for Philly, is in the mix and may be the favorite.
Philly has pursued a path of getting bad to get good — they traded away All-Star point guard Jrue Holiday for the potential of Nerlens Noel. They are going the full “woeful for Wiggins” route to get a good pick in the expectedly very deep 2014 draft. Plus they will have cap room. It’s a good strategy if it works, but there are a number of teams going to go that route next season (the second half of the next season is going to be “Tankapaloza”). That strategy of being bad also buys Hinkie a few years to find some players; he doesn’t have to win now because he got ownership to buy into this plan when they hired him.
Because of that strategy the certainly had more time to get a coach in place, but it’s about time.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 12
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 7
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 1
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 21
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (39)