Jul 20, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
Arash Markazi of ESPN Los Angeles has the details:
Terms were not disclosed, but league sources said the deal was worth $2 million and Mullens will hold a player option for the second year of the deal. Mullens had a career year for the Charlotte Bobcats last season, starting 41 games and averaging 10.6 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.5 assists in 26.9 minutes per game.
Those averages sound somewhat inspiring, until you dig into the details.
Mullens got plenty of opportunity playing for one of the league’s worst teams, but the great majority of his shots are either long or mid-range jumpers, which he’s historically shot at a very low percentage.
As we pointed out at the time of the initial report, Mullens shot 208 three-pointers last season, and connected on just 66 of them, good for a mark of 31.7 percent. He also shot 33.3 percent 10-15 feet from the basket, and 33 percent when he was 16-23 feet out. Most troubling given these numbers is the fact that 7.5 of his 10.6 field goal attempts per game came shooting jumpers from one of these spots on the floor.
The Clippers didn’t have many other options to add quality size to come off the bench, so Mullens will have to do. Just remember these shooting numbers when people are trying to sell you on Mullens being a stretch-four or stretch-five that will greatly improve the team in some way, because historically, that hasn’t been the case.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 46
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 20
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6