Jul 19, 2013, 5:23 PM EST
He doesn’t plan to ease Rose into the preseason, he plans to play Rose regular starters minutes, Thibodeau told ESPNChicago.com.
“We’ll see once we get to training camp, and we’re going to have an opportunity to get some work done in the fall, but we have to keep in mind he’s been out an extended amount of time,” Thibodeau told ESPNChicago.com during the Vegas Summer League Thursday night. “So the preseason — and we look at training camp as the entire month, not just a week — we’ll move him along accordingly.
“He’ll play like he normally would in the preseason. Usually we start off with eight-minute segments for the starters, first and third period, and we’ll build from there. We’ll see what he can handle. I think there’s going to be some rust initially, but I fully expect him to get back to (being) the player we all know that he is.”
Of course there will be rust, which is why the idea of him coming back in the playoffs was always ridiculous. “Have fun shaking the rust off while LeBron James guards you!”
That rust is also why a preseason makes sense. Rose needs time to readjust to his teammates and them to him. Thibs is making the right call here.
Then hopefully we can see what a fully healthy Rose and the Bulls can do for a full regular season and playoffs. Which is going to make the East even more interesting this season.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 6
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 12
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 52
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20