Jul 19, 2013, 5:23 PM EST
He doesn’t plan to ease Rose into the preseason, he plans to play Rose regular starters minutes, Thibodeau told ESPNChicago.com.
“We’ll see once we get to training camp, and we’re going to have an opportunity to get some work done in the fall, but we have to keep in mind he’s been out an extended amount of time,” Thibodeau told ESPNChicago.com during the Vegas Summer League Thursday night. “So the preseason — and we look at training camp as the entire month, not just a week — we’ll move him along accordingly.
“He’ll play like he normally would in the preseason. Usually we start off with eight-minute segments for the starters, first and third period, and we’ll build from there. We’ll see what he can handle. I think there’s going to be some rust initially, but I fully expect him to get back to (being) the player we all know that he is.”
Of course there will be rust, which is why the idea of him coming back in the playoffs was always ridiculous. “Have fun shaking the rust off while LeBron James guards you!”
That rust is also why a preseason makes sense. Rose needs time to readjust to his teammates and them to him. Thibs is making the right call here.
Then hopefully we can see what a fully healthy Rose and the Bulls can do for a full regular season and playoffs. Which is going to make the East even more interesting this season.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30