Jul 19, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
He doesn’t plan to ease Rose into the preseason, he plans to play Rose regular starters minutes, Thibodeau told ESPNChicago.com.
“We’ll see once we get to training camp, and we’re going to have an opportunity to get some work done in the fall, but we have to keep in mind he’s been out an extended amount of time,” Thibodeau told ESPNChicago.com during the Vegas Summer League Thursday night. “So the preseason — and we look at training camp as the entire month, not just a week — we’ll move him along accordingly.
“He’ll play like he normally would in the preseason. Usually we start off with eight-minute segments for the starters, first and third period, and we’ll build from there. We’ll see what he can handle. I think there’s going to be some rust initially, but I fully expect him to get back to (being) the player we all know that he is.”
Of course there will be rust, which is why the idea of him coming back in the playoffs was always ridiculous. “Have fun shaking the rust off while LeBron James guards you!”
That rust is also why a preseason makes sense. Rose needs time to readjust to his teammates and them to him. Thibs is making the right call here.
Then hopefully we can see what a fully healthy Rose and the Bulls can do for a full regular season and playoffs. Which is going to make the East even more interesting this season.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 10
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 17
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3