Jul 19, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
He doesn’t plan to ease Rose into the preseason, he plans to play Rose regular starters minutes, Thibodeau told ESPNChicago.com.
“We’ll see once we get to training camp, and we’re going to have an opportunity to get some work done in the fall, but we have to keep in mind he’s been out an extended amount of time,” Thibodeau told ESPNChicago.com during the Vegas Summer League Thursday night. “So the preseason — and we look at training camp as the entire month, not just a week — we’ll move him along accordingly.
“He’ll play like he normally would in the preseason. Usually we start off with eight-minute segments for the starters, first and third period, and we’ll build from there. We’ll see what he can handle. I think there’s going to be some rust initially, but I fully expect him to get back to (being) the player we all know that he is.”
Of course there will be rust, which is why the idea of him coming back in the playoffs was always ridiculous. “Have fun shaking the rust off while LeBron James guards you!”
That rust is also why a preseason makes sense. Rose needs time to readjust to his teammates and them to him. Thibs is making the right call here.
Then hopefully we can see what a fully healthy Rose and the Bulls can do for a full regular season and playoffs. Which is going to make the East even more interesting this season.
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 0
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 13
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 21
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 21
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 7
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 64