Jul 19, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
He doesn’t plan to ease Rose into the preseason, he plans to play Rose regular starters minutes, Thibodeau told ESPNChicago.com.
“We’ll see once we get to training camp, and we’re going to have an opportunity to get some work done in the fall, but we have to keep in mind he’s been out an extended amount of time,” Thibodeau told ESPNChicago.com during the Vegas Summer League Thursday night. “So the preseason — and we look at training camp as the entire month, not just a week — we’ll move him along accordingly.
“He’ll play like he normally would in the preseason. Usually we start off with eight-minute segments for the starters, first and third period, and we’ll build from there. We’ll see what he can handle. I think there’s going to be some rust initially, but I fully expect him to get back to (being) the player we all know that he is.”
Of course there will be rust, which is why the idea of him coming back in the playoffs was always ridiculous. “Have fun shaking the rust off while LeBron James guards you!”
That rust is also why a preseason makes sense. Rose needs time to readjust to his teammates and them to him. Thibs is making the right call here.
Then hopefully we can see what a fully healthy Rose and the Bulls can do for a full regular season and playoffs. Which is going to make the East even more interesting this season.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 4
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 18
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14