Jul 19, 2013, 3:53 PM EST
Chicago’s Taj Gibson’s blend of size and athleticism makes him an interesting fit for what Team USA likes to do — press on defense, create turnovers then get out and run. Play to your strengths, and with the USA that is the level and depth of athleticism.
But a sprained ankle is going to keep Gibson from strutting his stuff for Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski and crew, reports John Schuhmann of NBA.com (via twitter).
No word on if there would be a replacement.
The four-day camp is a chance for Team USA to workout, get a look at and install a little offense with guys who could get a Team USA invite to the World Championships next summer in Madrid or maybe the Rio Olympics in three years.
The other players that will be there are: Ryan Anderson (Pelicans), Harrison Barnes (Warriors), Bradley Beal (Wizards), Mike Conley (Grizzlies), DeMarcus Cousins (Kings), Anthony Davis (Pelicans), DeMar DeRozan (Raptors), Andre Drummond (Pistons), Kenneth Faried (Nuggets), Derrick Favors (Jazz), Paul George (Pacers), Gordon Hayward (Jazz), George Hill (Pacers), Jrue Holiday (Pelicans), Kyrie Irving (Cavaliers), DeAndre Jordan (Clippers), Ty Lawson (Nuggets), Damian Lillard (Trail Blazers), Greg Monroe (Pistons), Chandler Parsons (Rockets), Larry Sanders (Bucks), Marcus Smart (Oklahoma State), Klay Thompson (Warriors), Dion Waiters (Cavaliers), Kemba Walker (Bobcats), John Wall (Wizards), Tyler Zeller (Cavaliers).
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 0
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 1
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 12
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)