Jul 19, 2013, 3:53 PM EDT
Chicago’s Taj Gibson’s blend of size and athleticism makes him an interesting fit for what Team USA likes to do — press on defense, create turnovers then get out and run. Play to your strengths, and with the USA that is the level and depth of athleticism.
But a sprained ankle is going to keep Gibson from strutting his stuff for Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski and crew, reports John Schuhmann of NBA.com (via twitter).
No word on if there would be a replacement.
The four-day camp is a chance for Team USA to workout, get a look at and install a little offense with guys who could get a Team USA invite to the World Championships next summer in Madrid or maybe the Rio Olympics in three years.
The other players that will be there are: Ryan Anderson (Pelicans), Harrison Barnes (Warriors), Bradley Beal (Wizards), Mike Conley (Grizzlies), DeMarcus Cousins (Kings), Anthony Davis (Pelicans), DeMar DeRozan (Raptors), Andre Drummond (Pistons), Kenneth Faried (Nuggets), Derrick Favors (Jazz), Paul George (Pacers), Gordon Hayward (Jazz), George Hill (Pacers), Jrue Holiday (Pelicans), Kyrie Irving (Cavaliers), DeAndre Jordan (Clippers), Ty Lawson (Nuggets), Damian Lillard (Trail Blazers), Greg Monroe (Pistons), Chandler Parsons (Rockets), Larry Sanders (Bucks), Marcus Smart (Oklahoma State), Klay Thompson (Warriors), Dion Waiters (Cavaliers), Kemba Walker (Bobcats), John Wall (Wizards), Tyler Zeller (Cavaliers).
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 38
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 25
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 20
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 42
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 5