Jul 19, 2013, 3:53 PM EST
Chicago’s Taj Gibson’s blend of size and athleticism makes him an interesting fit for what Team USA likes to do — press on defense, create turnovers then get out and run. Play to your strengths, and with the USA that is the level and depth of athleticism.
But a sprained ankle is going to keep Gibson from strutting his stuff for Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski and crew, reports John Schuhmann of NBA.com (via twitter).
No word on if there would be a replacement.
The four-day camp is a chance for Team USA to workout, get a look at and install a little offense with guys who could get a Team USA invite to the World Championships next summer in Madrid or maybe the Rio Olympics in three years.
The other players that will be there are: Ryan Anderson (Pelicans), Harrison Barnes (Warriors), Bradley Beal (Wizards), Mike Conley (Grizzlies), DeMarcus Cousins (Kings), Anthony Davis (Pelicans), DeMar DeRozan (Raptors), Andre Drummond (Pistons), Kenneth Faried (Nuggets), Derrick Favors (Jazz), Paul George (Pacers), Gordon Hayward (Jazz), George Hill (Pacers), Jrue Holiday (Pelicans), Kyrie Irving (Cavaliers), DeAndre Jordan (Clippers), Ty Lawson (Nuggets), Damian Lillard (Trail Blazers), Greg Monroe (Pistons), Chandler Parsons (Rockets), Larry Sanders (Bucks), Marcus Smart (Oklahoma State), Klay Thompson (Warriors), Dion Waiters (Cavaliers), Kemba Walker (Bobcats), John Wall (Wizards), Tyler Zeller (Cavaliers).
- Tyson Chandler returns to Knicks lineup Wednesday night 0
- Beasley out, LeBron game-time decision; Heat not worried about Pacers right now 5
- LaMarcus Aldridge’s MVP-level season looks a lot like last season 10
- PBT Podcast: Damian Lillard can’t miss, plus Iguodala return 0
- The Extra Pass: The Spurs’ Hammer set; plus Tuesday’s recaps 1
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (45)