Jul 19, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
It was the most iconic moment of this year’s dramatic NBA Finals — San Antonio was seconds away from winning the NBA title and Miami was trying to force overtime in Game 6 with the Heat down three. LeBron James missed a three but Chris Bosh got the rebound and passed to Ray Allen, who stepped back and nailed a corner three to tie it. Miami went on the win the game and the title in Game 7.
NBA legend Rick Barry says Allen traveled on the key shot.
Barry was on 640 Sports in Miami, where Dan Sileo filling in for the Big O, and Barry said this:
“Everybody will probably hate me for saying this down there in Miami, but the bottom line of it is nobody made a big deal about the fact Ray Allen traveled on the shot he made to tie the game,” Barry said. “Ray did it so quickly, but he traveled. He had a pivot foot and he stepped back behind the line and he brought the foot that was his pivot foot back and took the shot, well I’m sorry but you can’t do that without dribbling the basketball.
“But anyway the San Antonio Spurs gave them every opportunity and they responded, talking about the Heat, and they were able to come away with the championship so credit to them for that.”
A player who receives the ball while moving is allowed a two count rhythm but must release the ball prior to the third step touching the floor.
Does Allen take a third step? Looking at the replay I don’t think so. The NBA allows a “gather” and two steps and Allen is well within that.
Of course, not everyone will see it that way, fans will see it with their hearts (and a lot of them hate the Heat). Besides, if we are going to pick this apart Tim Duncan illegally subbed in after the replay.
It’s moot now. But it’s interesting.
One other quote from Rick Barry on that show — he was as confused as the rest of us by the Lakers last season:
“To me that teams should have been a much better basketball team. I don’t know if they were all utilized in the best manner possible. But whatever it was it just didn’t jell and it just didn’t work. I think it was a major, major disappointment for basketball fans in the Los Angeles area to see what transpired.”
- Posnanski: LeBron James proves he’s a true Clevelander 43
- Report: Isaiah Thomas headed to Phoenix Suns in a sign-and-trade 37
- Report: Chris Bosh re-signing with Heat over joining Rockets 79
- Report: Heat offer Chris Bosh full max contract to keep him from Rockets 26
- PBT Extra: LeBron James returns to Cleveland to try and cement legacy 17
- Deal set: Lakers trade for Jeremy Lin, which for L.A. is largely about draft pick (as is Gasol for Boozer idea) 36
- Carmelo Anthony still not ready to decide, but he needs to soon as options dry up 48
- Report: With LeBron James heading to Cleveland, Kevin Love would commit to Cavaliers long term if traded there 58