Jul 19, 2013, 1:07 PM EDT
Brandon Jennings wanted big money and a big market. Remember he switched agents last season and while everyone denied it officially that was all about getting a big change for Jennings.
The Bucks were ready to move on too — they made an offer to bring in Jeff Teague, but the Hawks matched it.
The Bucks have been looking for a sign-and-trade where another team gets Jennings (and gives him a healthy contract) and sends the Bucks back a point guard they would like (or other quality piece).
The result could be a forced marriage of the Bucks and Jennings for one more season at the qualifying offer amount of $4.5 million, suggests the Journal Sentinel.
As awkward as Jennings’ one-year return would be, I’m thinking a potentially bad situation could actually become a good thing next season for player and organization with a lot of work and understanding on both sides.
In a contract year, Jennings would be highly motivated to become the player he thinks he is and get the money he thinks he’s worth. With a new coach and without the friction caused by Monta Ellis‘ presence, it’s possible that Jennings’ attitude could be reshaped to make something of next season for the Bucks.
A trade could also happen during training camp if injuries strike another team, or maybe closer to the deadline. Especially if Jennings does become the more efficient kind of point guard teams are looking for — Jennnings put up good numbers last year but shot just 39.9 percent. He tends to take bad shots and doesn’t finish well in the lane, but most off-putting to teams is his defense. Or lack of it.
It’s not that Jennings is bad or doesn’t have potential, but he reportedly thought he deserved $12 million a year while teams I heard were thinking more like $7-8 million. And the teams interested were not all big markets.
One year forced together could be good for the Bucks and Jennings. Or, it could be an unmitigated disaster.
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 0
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28