Jul 18, 2013, 1:27 AM EST
LAS VEGAS — Summer League entered the Tournament phase on Wednesday, which really didn’t feel any different yet than the rest of Summer League. Here is some stuff from my notebook…
• Atlanta may have a steal getting German point guard Dennis Schroder at No. 17.
He is 19 and the reports about his length and defense are spot on — you can see why some scouts said he had a Rajon Rondo style game. He defends well already. He has really quick feet that stay in front of the guy with the ball, he keeps his hips square and the long arms let him contest even if he gets beat a little. He’s a very aggressive defender.
“Schroeder has great athleticism,” said Portland’s C.J. McCollum, who was matched up with him Wednesday. “He’s very fast and quick, heady player, smart, good wingspan.”
On offense, he has a great feel for the game and handles that can get him into the paint. When he does drive he almost always dishes out (he is certainly pass first). He did draw fouls and get to the line eight times. His jumper could use a little work, he was 3-of-10 outside the paint and that has ben the norm from the outside (he was 0-of-4 last game, 1-of-5 the game before that).
But you can see him getting 15 minutes a night behind Jeff Teague — Schroder is 19 and he is going to improve. This could be a great pick for Danny Ferry.
• The best battle of the day was Atlanta’s Schroder matched up on Portland’s McCollum — two quick point guards making a mark here in Las Vegas.
McCollum (the No. 10 pick out of Lehigh) has had a good if up and down Summer League so far. Thursday was an up where he had 13 points and 4-of-7 shooting, he set up teammates and he dealt with Schroder’s defensive pressure well.
“I’ve been playing okay,” McCallom said when asked to reflect on his play. “For rookie standards I guess it’s decent. I got to shoot the ball a little bit better and take care of the ball more. This was my fourth game since January so I’m getting back into things, getting a rhythm and choosing when to pick my spots, when to be aggressive and when to sit back and let other guys take over.”
• Jordan Hamilton, who had a limited role on a deep Denver team last season, looked like a guy who wants more time — he owned the opening quarter and dropped 27 on the Pelicans Wednesday. He can finish inside, he knocked down 4-of-7 from three and he grabbed a few boards. There are minutes to be taken on that shaken up Nuggets roster and Hamilton made a little case at Summer League.
• Memphis hasn’t really done anything interesting with their roster this summer (they needed shooters, they didn’t get one). Which means Jerryd Bayless is still backing up Mike Conley. Point guard Tony Wroten put up 23 points to lead Memphis to a win Wednesday and is trying to make his case for a spot. Not sure it’s working (8-of-18 shooting to get those points, 2-of-7 from three). Wroten’s game has matured over the last couple years, but I’m not sure he’s a fit in Memphis.
• Otto Porter was held out of the Wizards game Wednesday with a tight right hamstring. He had a rough Summer League adjusting to the freelancing style of play and the multiple positions the Wizards tried him out at. Porter shot 30 percent in Summer League and missed all of his threes.
• Much like Porter, the pickup feel of Summer League games just does not suit Evan Fournier’s style of play. He looks okay, but some guys don’t thrive in this environment like they do a more structured game.
• I swear I saw Luke Harangody dribble the ball up the wing on the break, cut to the paint, put on a spin move and score over two Pelicans bigs. If I try to tell that story to people someday they will look at me like I’m Baron Davis talking aliens.
Feb 1, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
A new kind of videobomb
Feb 1, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Popovich’s non-reaction is pretty good, too.
Feb 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EST
Green has already had a 10-day with the Spurs.
Feb 1, 2015, 1:12 PM EST
Rondo suffered the injury during the Mavs’ Saturday win over the Magic.
Feb 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
Pistons fans booed Smith every time he touched the ball.
Feb 1, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Greek Freak preparing well for dunk contest
Feb 1, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
Before helping Seattle Seahawks reach Super Bowl, Lynch was high school teammate of Leon Powe
Feb 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Kent Bazemore moves into starting lineup with DeMarre Carroll also out
Feb 1, 2015, 12:30 AM EST
Jan 31, 2015, 11:00 PM EST
Three misses and a frustration foul on a single possession.
Jan 31, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Minnesota fans boo Love during pregame intros, cheer him during tribute video
Jan 31, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Jan 31, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
Kanter was dismissive of both Klay Thompson and Andrew Bogut before Friday night’s win.
Jan 31, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Cleveland plays the Timberwolves in Minnesota on Saturday.
Jan 31, 2015, 3:59 PM EST
Jan 31, 2015, 3:21 PM EST
With Ricky Rubio, Nikola Pekovic and Kevin Martin back in the rotation the Timberwolves will not be such a pushover.
Jan 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
Green being unexpectedly held out led some to speculate that he might be dealt.
Jan 31, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
They’re not winning, but they still produce some highlight plays.
Jan 31, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
The tenth in Bryant’s signature line returns to a low-top silhouette, and the first colorway is inspired by Kobe’s early morning high dive as he recovered from Achilles surgery.
Jan 31, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
Denver’s offer of J.J. Hickson and JaVale McGee isn’t enough for Brooklyn to pull the trigger — especially with Lopez coming off of a 35-point, 12-rebound performance against the Raptors.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 8
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 32
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10