Jul 18, 2013, 1:27 AM EDT
LAS VEGAS — Summer League entered the Tournament phase on Wednesday, which really didn’t feel any different yet than the rest of Summer League. Here is some stuff from my notebook…
• Atlanta may have a steal getting German point guard Dennis Schroder at No. 17.
He is 19 and the reports about his length and defense are spot on — you can see why some scouts said he had a Rajon Rondo style game. He defends well already. He has really quick feet that stay in front of the guy with the ball, he keeps his hips square and the long arms let him contest even if he gets beat a little. He’s a very aggressive defender.
“Schroeder has great athleticism,” said Portland’s C.J. McCollum, who was matched up with him Wednesday. “He’s very fast and quick, heady player, smart, good wingspan.”
On offense, he has a great feel for the game and handles that can get him into the paint. When he does drive he almost always dishes out (he is certainly pass first). He did draw fouls and get to the line eight times. His jumper could use a little work, he was 3-of-10 outside the paint and that has ben the norm from the outside (he was 0-of-4 last game, 1-of-5 the game before that).
But you can see him getting 15 minutes a night behind Jeff Teague — Schroder is 19 and he is going to improve. This could be a great pick for Danny Ferry.
• The best battle of the day was Atlanta’s Schroder matched up on Portland’s McCollum — two quick point guards making a mark here in Las Vegas.
McCollum (the No. 10 pick out of Lehigh) has had a good if up and down Summer League so far. Thursday was an up where he had 13 points and 4-of-7 shooting, he set up teammates and he dealt with Schroder’s defensive pressure well.
“I’ve been playing okay,” McCallom said when asked to reflect on his play. “For rookie standards I guess it’s decent. I got to shoot the ball a little bit better and take care of the ball more. This was my fourth game since January so I’m getting back into things, getting a rhythm and choosing when to pick my spots, when to be aggressive and when to sit back and let other guys take over.”
• Jordan Hamilton, who had a limited role on a deep Denver team last season, looked like a guy who wants more time — he owned the opening quarter and dropped 27 on the Pelicans Wednesday. He can finish inside, he knocked down 4-of-7 from three and he grabbed a few boards. There are minutes to be taken on that shaken up Nuggets roster and Hamilton made a little case at Summer League.
• Memphis hasn’t really done anything interesting with their roster this summer (they needed shooters, they didn’t get one). Which means Jerryd Bayless is still backing up Mike Conley. Point guard Tony Wroten put up 23 points to lead Memphis to a win Wednesday and is trying to make his case for a spot. Not sure it’s working (8-of-18 shooting to get those points, 2-of-7 from three). Wroten’s game has matured over the last couple years, but I’m not sure he’s a fit in Memphis.
• Otto Porter was held out of the Wizards game Wednesday with a tight right hamstring. He had a rough Summer League adjusting to the freelancing style of play and the multiple positions the Wizards tried him out at. Porter shot 30 percent in Summer League and missed all of his threes.
• Much like Porter, the pickup feel of Summer League games just does not suit Evan Fournier’s style of play. He looks okay, but some guys don’t thrive in this environment like they do a more structured game.
• I swear I saw Luke Harangody dribble the ball up the wing on the break, cut to the paint, put on a spin move and score over two Pelicans bigs. If I try to tell that story to people someday they will look at me like I’m Baron Davis talking aliens.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
Oubre a potential lottery pick
Apr 1, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
He’s a bubble first round pick.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:33 PM EDT
He had only played in one of the last dozen Heat games.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT
Seen at Summer League he was project, we’ll see how far along he has come.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
Curry is going to win this award. More than that, he’s earned it.
Apr 1, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Anderson has missed the last 18 games due to injury, and New Orleans is trying to catch OKC for the final playoff spot in the West.
Apr 1, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
A 16th during the regular season would mean a one-game suspension.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Stephenson didn’t play in his team’s last game as a result of the coach’s decision.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
Not as devastating as the one that’s made the rounds, but deadly nonetheless.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
We know it’s LeBron’s world in Cleveland, but this makes Blatt look a bit silly.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
This isn’t the first time one of the Clippers has publicly pointed out the obvious.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
The rivalry continues.
Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC
Apr 1, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Durant will be an unrestricted free agent after next season.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
The Internet went nuts with memes of Paul falling down, and he got in on the fun himself.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
Apr 1, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Hollins believes what he believes, evidence to the contrary be damned.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
He was the reason the Clippers were close to the Warriors.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:34 AM EDT
We may have to watch the Nets in the playoffs. Lord help us all.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:50 AM EDT
Curry just dropped the best defensive point guard in the NBA.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The deer is angrier
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 12
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 5
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7