Jul 18, 2013, 1:27 AM EST
LAS VEGAS — Summer League entered the Tournament phase on Wednesday, which really didn’t feel any different yet than the rest of Summer League. Here is some stuff from my notebook…
• Atlanta may have a steal getting German point guard Dennis Schroder at No. 17.
He is 19 and the reports about his length and defense are spot on — you can see why some scouts said he had a Rajon Rondo style game. He defends well already. He has really quick feet that stay in front of the guy with the ball, he keeps his hips square and the long arms let him contest even if he gets beat a little. He’s a very aggressive defender.
“Schroeder has great athleticism,” said Portland’s C.J. McCollum, who was matched up with him Wednesday. “He’s very fast and quick, heady player, smart, good wingspan.”
On offense, he has a great feel for the game and handles that can get him into the paint. When he does drive he almost always dishes out (he is certainly pass first). He did draw fouls and get to the line eight times. His jumper could use a little work, he was 3-of-10 outside the paint and that has ben the norm from the outside (he was 0-of-4 last game, 1-of-5 the game before that).
But you can see him getting 15 minutes a night behind Jeff Teague — Schroder is 19 and he is going to improve. This could be a great pick for Danny Ferry.
• The best battle of the day was Atlanta’s Schroder matched up on Portland’s McCollum — two quick point guards making a mark here in Las Vegas.
McCollum (the No. 10 pick out of Lehigh) has had a good if up and down Summer League so far. Thursday was an up where he had 13 points and 4-of-7 shooting, he set up teammates and he dealt with Schroder’s defensive pressure well.
“I’ve been playing okay,” McCallom said when asked to reflect on his play. “For rookie standards I guess it’s decent. I got to shoot the ball a little bit better and take care of the ball more. This was my fourth game since January so I’m getting back into things, getting a rhythm and choosing when to pick my spots, when to be aggressive and when to sit back and let other guys take over.”
• Jordan Hamilton, who had a limited role on a deep Denver team last season, looked like a guy who wants more time — he owned the opening quarter and dropped 27 on the Pelicans Wednesday. He can finish inside, he knocked down 4-of-7 from three and he grabbed a few boards. There are minutes to be taken on that shaken up Nuggets roster and Hamilton made a little case at Summer League.
• Memphis hasn’t really done anything interesting with their roster this summer (they needed shooters, they didn’t get one). Which means Jerryd Bayless is still backing up Mike Conley. Point guard Tony Wroten put up 23 points to lead Memphis to a win Wednesday and is trying to make his case for a spot. Not sure it’s working (8-of-18 shooting to get those points, 2-of-7 from three). Wroten’s game has matured over the last couple years, but I’m not sure he’s a fit in Memphis.
• Otto Porter was held out of the Wizards game Wednesday with a tight right hamstring. He had a rough Summer League adjusting to the freelancing style of play and the multiple positions the Wizards tried him out at. Porter shot 30 percent in Summer League and missed all of his threes.
• Much like Porter, the pickup feel of Summer League games just does not suit Evan Fournier’s style of play. He looks okay, but some guys don’t thrive in this environment like they do a more structured game.
• I swear I saw Luke Harangody dribble the ball up the wing on the break, cut to the paint, put on a spin move and score over two Pelicans bigs. If I try to tell that story to people someday they will look at me like I’m Baron Davis talking aliens.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 14
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 16
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 20
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)