Jul 18, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
The free agent tour that Greg Oden is on right now is rivaling the one that Dwight Howard embarked upon once the free agency period began on July 1.
The difference, of course, is that while teams were begging Howard to allow them to give him close to $90 million over four years, Oden is in the market for a minimum deal that will allow him to resume his injury-plagued NBA career in the right situation.
Miami and San Antonio are among the teams taking a long look at Oden, but so is New Orleans. And while the franchise certainly isn’t as glamorous, it may be the one to come up with a multi-year offer that might make it tempting for Oden to consider the Pelicans.
The New Orleans Pelicans’ pursuit of free agent Greg Oden is not an empty gesture. In fact, sources close to the situation say the Pelicans could be offering a two-year deal worth more than $3 million annually to ensure they are the team that lands the former number one overall pick.
Oden has long been pegged to join the Miami HEAT; however multi-year, higher dollar offers have Oden and his camp considering alternate situations.
Again, the sales pitch for Oden going with New Orleans involves the fact that he’d be able to work his way back to the court slowly, with minimal expectations, and out of the national media spotlight.
The extra dollars on the table certainly won’t hurt the Pelicans’ chances, though it remains to be seen exactly where the offers may come in from the other interested parties.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 5
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 7
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 18
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31