Jul 18, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
The free agent tour that Greg Oden is on right now is rivaling the one that Dwight Howard embarked upon once the free agency period began on July 1.
The difference, of course, is that while teams were begging Howard to allow them to give him close to $90 million over four years, Oden is in the market for a minimum deal that will allow him to resume his injury-plagued NBA career in the right situation.
Miami and San Antonio are among the teams taking a long look at Oden, but so is New Orleans. And while the franchise certainly isn’t as glamorous, it may be the one to come up with a multi-year offer that might make it tempting for Oden to consider the Pelicans.
The New Orleans Pelicans’ pursuit of free agent Greg Oden is not an empty gesture. In fact, sources close to the situation say the Pelicans could be offering a two-year deal worth more than $3 million annually to ensure they are the team that lands the former number one overall pick.
Oden has long been pegged to join the Miami HEAT; however multi-year, higher dollar offers have Oden and his camp considering alternate situations.
Again, the sales pitch for Oden going with New Orleans involves the fact that he’d be able to work his way back to the court slowly, with minimal expectations, and out of the national media spotlight.
The extra dollars on the table certainly won’t hurt the Pelicans’ chances, though it remains to be seen exactly where the offers may come in from the other interested parties.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 7
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 10
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8