Jul 18, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
The free agent tour that Greg Oden is on right now is rivaling the one that Dwight Howard embarked upon once the free agency period began on July 1.
The difference, of course, is that while teams were begging Howard to allow them to give him close to $90 million over four years, Oden is in the market for a minimum deal that will allow him to resume his injury-plagued NBA career in the right situation.
Miami and San Antonio are among the teams taking a long look at Oden, but so is New Orleans. And while the franchise certainly isn’t as glamorous, it may be the one to come up with a multi-year offer that might make it tempting for Oden to consider the Pelicans.
The New Orleans Pelicans’ pursuit of free agent Greg Oden is not an empty gesture. In fact, sources close to the situation say the Pelicans could be offering a two-year deal worth more than $3 million annually to ensure they are the team that lands the former number one overall pick.
Oden has long been pegged to join the Miami HEAT; however multi-year, higher dollar offers have Oden and his camp considering alternate situations.
Again, the sales pitch for Oden going with New Orleans involves the fact that he’d be able to work his way back to the court slowly, with minimal expectations, and out of the national media spotlight.
The extra dollars on the table certainly won’t hurt the Pelicans’ chances, though it remains to be seen exactly where the offers may come in from the other interested parties.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18