Jul 18, 2013, 10:29 AM EST
LaMarcus Aldridge has two years left on his contract, which will pay the 27-year-old All Star forward $30.4 million.
But there have been all kinds of rumblings about him wanting out of the Pacific Northwest, which puts Portland GM Neil Olshey in the same position the Jazz front office was with Deron Williams (and Denver with Carmelo Anthony) — do you trade him soon, closer to the trade deadline in 2015, or not trade him at all.
Aldridge has denied he wants a trade but Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com reports Aldridge’s camp met with the Blazers GM in Vegas to suggest trades for the Blazers best player.
According to the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the situation, the meeting was described as being productive with both sides focused on doing what’s best for both parties….
Prospective teams holding the rights to Joakim Noah, Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, Al Horford and Anthony Davis, as of now, have declined to involve their franchise players in any potential deals for Aldridge, a league source told CSNNW.com.
There is no kind of deal that is close (although Aldridge’s name has come up in some rumors lately). The Blazers are not just going to trade Aldridge for picks, they want quality back. And as of right now they may not initiate calls.
Aldridge averaged 21.1 points and 9.1 rebounds a game last season, with a PER of 20.4. He is one of the best power forwards in the game right now.
If Portland realizes they are not going to be able to re-sign him when he is a free agent in the summer of 2015 they will be looking to move him. But there is no pressure to do it right now, they can listen to offers that come in and put in him trade packages for the next year. They can be patient and wait for a deal they like.
Which means expect Aldridge back in Portland this fall, playing well for the Blazers as they head into next season with Damian Lillard. But don’t be shocked if Aldridge’s name comes up in trade talks closer to the deadline and next summer.
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 1
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)