Jul 18, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
The Toronto Raptors are on the verge of buying out Marcus Camby. He was traded to Toronto as part of the Andrea Bargnani deal (have fun with that one Knicks) but the veteran didn’t want to spend the last couple years of his career with a rebuilding team.
He wanted to go to a contender.
Which is what looks like will happen once the buyout is complete, reports Jared Zwerling of ESPNNewYork.com.
While a couple of those teams have all or part of their mid-level exception left, this almost certainly would be a minimum deal.
The Heat are in the Greg Oden race, if they land Camby that chase likely ends. The Clippers would be a place Camby certainly could get minutes as they are thin behind DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin up front.
Camby could help a team with defense in the paint and a solid midrange jumper, if he can stay healthy — he has only played in 43 games combined the past two seasons.
- Report: LeBron ‘will look at’ Knicks in free agency now that Phil Jackson is in place 49
- Nets announce signing of Jason Collins for remainder of the season 11
- Phil Jackson to Knicks could work. It probably won’t, but it could. 30
- Pau Gasol says Kobe was right to rip Lakers front office 41
- It’s confirmed: Phil Jackson returns to Knicks to head up front office, revive franchise 33