Paul Pierce sold Kevin Garnett on move from Celtics to the Nets

Jul 18, 2013, 6:28 PM EST

Newly acquired Net's NBA players attend a news conference introducing them to the media in Brooklyn Reuters

Paul Pierce didn’t have a choice as to whether or not he would be traded to the Nets, but Kevin Garnett did thanks to being one of the few players in the league that had a rare no-trade clause built into his contract.

And apparently, it took a whole lot of convincing to get Garnett to waive it in order for him to be included in the deal that sent both him and Pierce to Brooklyn to play next season.

If the Nets go deep into the playoffs with their newly-acquired stars, they’ll have Pierce to thank for delivering the extensive sales pitch to Garnett that resulted in him accepting his new assignment.

From Chris Forsberg of ESPN Boston:

“It was one long, long phone call,” Pierce said with a laugh. “Probably like an hour-and-a-half, two hours. I just remember I was standing outside and it was 100 degrees, and I just remember after the phone call I was dripping sweat.

“I was like, ‘Do you understand what’s going on in Boston? [A potential trade to the] Clippers thing appears to be dead. So what do you think, big fella? I know you don’t want to retire. Iknow you don’t want to retire. You have too much in the tank, you love the game too much. Sometimes you just have to tell Kevin to sit back and think about it. He reacts to everything. Like his initial reaction to everything is, ‘No.’ [You say,] ‘Kevin I got a $100 million,’ [And he replies,] ‘No.’ Then he has to sit back and think about it and then once he warms up to it, he makes his decision, and that’s about anything.

“I knew his initial reaction was going to be against it, but I knew this was going to be a long conversation, too.”

Pierce and Garnett were introduced to the media in Brooklyn on Thursday, which is where this story was told.

It may have taken a while to convince KG to leave Boston, but it may have taken even longer for the move to finally sink in for Pierce, who has played all 15 of his NBA seasons for the Celtics.

1. nflcrimerankingscom - Jul 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM

“Kevin, I got 5 on it”

“No”

2. Sports King of this world - Jul 18, 2013 at 7:21 PM

To think reports I saw on twitter said Pierce was still uncomfortable.

• money2long - Jul 18, 2013 at 8:07 PM

he also saw the writing on the wall

• Sports King of this world - Jul 18, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I wonder how he’s going to like taking less shots and sharing big time crucial possessions

• Kevin S. - Jul 18, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I heard the beginning of the Q&A with Pierce on the radio… I got the feeling that intellectually he knew it was the right move, but emotionally he’s still coming to terms with it. That’s fine – I’d be stunned if somebody with his history in one city could just move on like that. At the same time, I think his head will have won out by the time November rolls around.

3. dezglobal - Jul 18, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I bet Paul wears his green jersey under his new black one.

• money2long - Jul 19, 2013 at 12:22 AM

maybe at least green undies

4. j0esixpack - Jul 18, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Pierce is going to get a tremendous ovation when they open in Boston.

Everyone in Boston knows that he and Garnett have done the Celtics a favor, giving them multiple first round picks and letting Ainge get started sooner rather than later.

This trade was good for both teams… Both Pierce and Garnett deserve to be on a contender for their last seasons. The Nets are taking a big gamble they stay healthy, but for the sake of those guys I hope it works out.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 19, 2013 at 9:14 AM

And I will be there standing and cheering. Pierce and Garnett (and Terry to a lesser extent) gave the Celtics a chance to rebuild.

The Celtics in turn gave those guys one or two more shots at a title.but “Two Time NBA Champion” sounds better than “One Time NBA Champion”.

5. Ronnie James Casiño - Jul 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Reblogged this on Ronnie James P. Casiño.

6. dirtybird28 - Jul 19, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Both of them were huge contributors here in Boston. They are much older but still good luck to the both of them!

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches