Paul Pierce at his introductory press conference with the Nets: ‘It’s really starting to sink in as we speak’
Jul 18, 2013, 2:21 PM EST
The Brooklyn Nets held their introductory press conference for Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett on Thursday, and with Pierce especially, it seemed like the reality of his new surroundings was beginning to hit him all at once.
Pierce has played all 15 of his NBA seasons in Boston until now, and will unquestionably go into the Hall of Fame one day as a Celtic, with his jersey raised to the rafters of the new Garden like so many of the team’s greats that have gone before him.
But he’ll play for a the Nets now, and it clearly hadn’t yet begun to seem real to Pierce until the moment he was up on the podium being asked about his new team’s future.
“It hasn’t really sunk in,” Pierce said, as seen in the video clip above. “I think it’s really starting to sink in as we speak. Just being in this arena. I saw my jersey up in the locker room — you saw the trade, and it was like, OK, there’s a trade. But for me to actually be here now, looking for a place to live, being in this arena, trying to get to know my way around the city — It’s really starting to sink in now that it’s become real.
“I’m no longer a Boston Celtic. I’m a Brooklyn Net, and that’s what it is right now. It’s a business, and at some point we all have to move on. And I’m here to try to create some kind of legacy here in Brooklyn.”
Pierce said all the right things, but looked a bit shell-shocked throughout the proceedings. Given how long he was with the Celtics and just how much he meant to the city, the fans, and the organization, his demeanor up there was completely understandable.
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 7
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 2
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 13
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 7
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Amar’e Stoudemire played well? Yes. Yes he did. 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (55)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (49)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)