Jul 18, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
This was David Stern back in June at the start of the NBA Finals, when asked about the league’s flopping policy of reviews, warnings, then $5,000 and escalating fines:
“It isn’t enough. It isn’t enough. You’re not going to cause somebody to stop it for $5,000 when the average player’s salary is $5.5 million. And anyone who thought that was going to happen was allowing hope to prevail over reason.”
That’s what we were all thinking. So we were going to see a change right?
The NBA owners (in their Board of Governor’s meeting in Las Vegas) voted to continue the flopping policy and fines as is for another season. This was Stern (who works for the owners, remember) on Thursday after the BOG meeting.
“There was a report on our flopping rules and the competition committee thought they were working well and didn’t recommend any changes to them,” Stern said.
Okay then. Apparently somebody thought that worked last season so we are going to get another round of it.
Stern also talked about how there was some discussion of ways to speed up the replay process. What that could mean is by next playoffs there will be a fourth official at the desk to handle replay, and eventually the NBA could go to an NHL-like system where a central office makes all the video replay calls (that process is generally quicker than the NBA’s current system).
“It’s always something that’s a tradeoff, but we really want to get it right,” Stern said.
While flopping system of penalties stays the same, there are a number of other replay and rule changes for next season:
• Replay can now be used with wider latitude on block/charge plays — before referees could only use it to determine whether a defender was inside or outside the restricted area, now officials can reverse a charge call, or uphold a blocking call at the same time. Meaning they can call a block, look at the video and change the call to a charge.
• Replay also now can be used to determine whether an off-ball foul occurred before or after a player has started his shooting motion on a successful shot attempt, or before or after the ball was released on a throw-in.
• Finally with replay, if a referee is looking at one call and sees an unsportsmanlike, flagrant penalty that was not called, he can now make that call.
• One new rule says if an offensive player “leaves the floor and does not immediately return to the floor” (providing he is not injured or something) his team will give up possession.
• Stern also spoke on the impact of new CBA on free agent movement.
“There’s a little bit more free agent movement than we had under the old agreement, and that is something we projected and expected, because there’s more player sharing as teams under the cap acquire players and as teams who are up against the tax level or above it find themselves making harder decisions about what players are necessary to retain or not.”
He said this makes the league more competitive.
• Stern said he expects there to be approved testing of HGH for players once the league and union discuss the issue. However, right now the union leadership is shifting so things are stalled.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Cuban let Chandler leave in free agency in the summer following the Mavs’ lone NBA title.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
No deal yet, but training camp is less than a week away, so both sides are motivated to expedite the process.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
Memphis is the latest team to try to salvage the former second overall pick in the 2008 draft.
Sep 23, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Not bad, but very Hawks-like.
Sep 23, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant, Derrick Rose among the more intriguing names on the list.
Sep 23, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
What is Ricky Rubio worth on the open market.
Sep 23, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
It’s a play off what Seattle and Denver have done before.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:29 PM EDT
Danny Ainge has done a good job with keeping his options open.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:38 PM EDT
Adam Silver also says league isn’t looking into owners’ pasts
Sep 23, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
Pierce signed for mid-level exception with Wizards
Sep 23, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
James reportedly received guaranteed contract
Sep 23, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Not a lot of people will see the building from above, and it’s early in the process, but…. that’s not pretty.
Sep 23, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
The many times Toronto and Kyle Lowry could have blown it with each other
Sep 23, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
He’s already the best midrange shooter in the game.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Heat guard getting style from fictional Miami serial killer
Sep 23, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Pacers ready for season without Paul George, Lance Stephenson
Sep 23, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Lamb, after playing for Bucks and Magic, likely to fall out of NBA following training camp
Sep 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Reed, previously a member of Kings and Grizzlies, in line to compete for roster spot
Sep 23, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
He’s better than Charles Barkley already at this.
- Report: Suns, Eric Bledsoe have ‘made progress’ on a new contract in last couple of days 0
- Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies 4
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16