Jul 18, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
This was David Stern back in June at the start of the NBA Finals, when asked about the league’s flopping policy of reviews, warnings, then $5,000 and escalating fines:
“It isn’t enough. It isn’t enough. You’re not going to cause somebody to stop it for $5,000 when the average player’s salary is $5.5 million. And anyone who thought that was going to happen was allowing hope to prevail over reason.”
That’s what we were all thinking. So we were going to see a change right?
The NBA owners (in their Board of Governor’s meeting in Las Vegas) voted to continue the flopping policy and fines as is for another season. This was Stern (who works for the owners, remember) on Thursday after the BOG meeting.
“There was a report on our flopping rules and the competition committee thought they were working well and didn’t recommend any changes to them,” Stern said.
Okay then. Apparently somebody thought that worked last season so we are going to get another round of it.
Stern also talked about how there was some discussion of ways to speed up the replay process. What that could mean is by next playoffs there will be a fourth official at the desk to handle replay, and eventually the NBA could go to an NHL-like system where a central office makes all the video replay calls (that process is generally quicker than the NBA’s current system).
“It’s always something that’s a tradeoff, but we really want to get it right,” Stern said.
While flopping system of penalties stays the same, there are a number of other replay and rule changes for next season:
• Replay can now be used with wider latitude on block/charge plays — before referees could only use it to determine whether a defender was inside or outside the restricted area, now officials can reverse a charge call, or uphold a blocking call at the same time. Meaning they can call a block, look at the video and change the call to a charge.
• Replay also now can be used to determine whether an off-ball foul occurred before or after a player has started his shooting motion on a successful shot attempt, or before or after the ball was released on a throw-in.
• Finally with replay, if a referee is looking at one call and sees an unsportsmanlike, flagrant penalty that was not called, he can now make that call.
• One new rule says if an offensive player “leaves the floor and does not immediately return to the floor” (providing he is not injured or something) his team will give up possession.
• Stern also spoke on the impact of new CBA on free agent movement.
“There’s a little bit more free agent movement than we had under the old agreement, and that is something we projected and expected, because there’s more player sharing as teams under the cap acquire players and as teams who are up against the tax level or above it find themselves making harder decisions about what players are necessary to retain or not.”
He said this makes the league more competitive.
• Stern said he expects there to be approved testing of HGH for players once the league and union discuss the issue. However, right now the union leadership is shifting so things are stalled.
Aug 23, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
It’s an accurate description.
Aug 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
It was a good night to be Stephen Curry.
Aug 23, 2014, 1:20 AM EDT
Team USA kept four centers on the roster. That’s a bit of a surprise.
Aug 23, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
The players who got DNP-CDs in this one may be the ones who stay home.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
Playing time decisions will be interesting with four legitimate options competing for minutes.
Aug 22, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Timberwolves will stick with Andrew Wiggins
Aug 22, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Monty Williams gives Drummond some excellent instruction.
Aug 22, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
DeMar DeRozan, Andre Drummond, Gordon Hayward, Chandler Parsons, Kyle Korver all possibilities for chopping block
Aug 22, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
A fine choice, even if he isn’t the best current NBA player from Spain.
Aug 22, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT
Hairston’s guarantee will total $2 million over two seasons.
Aug 22, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
Curry, seen on video discussing it, still seems upset by the situation.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT
If true, Thompson needs a much thicker skin.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Watching Smith and his gunner, ball-stopping tendencies try to fit in the move-the-ball, read and react triangle offense is going to be interesting. To put it kindly.
Aug 22, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
His critics don’t get it, but Jeremy Lin is a solid NBA guard now.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Krzyzewski – surprise, surprise – also reportedly likes Mason Plumlee, who played at Duke
Bulls’ Doug McDermott’s can’t sing, tries to lead Cubs’ fans in “Take Me Out To The Ballgame” anyway
Aug 22, 2014, 11:08 AM EDT
Doug McDermott can’t sing. We know that now.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
The Greek freak is going to be so much fun to watch at the world Cup.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
The hopes of the Finnish nation are crushed…. if they even noticed.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Stiviano claims Sterling paid her to act as his beard
Aug 22, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Energy is a skill.
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 0
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 16
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18