Jul 18, 2013, 1:42 PM EDT
When several veterans boycotted a Pistons shootaround a couple years ago, no more-tenured player showed up than Jason Maxiell.
Maxiell has spent eight seasons with the Pistons, quietly going about his business. His weight was an issue at times after signing a four-year, $20 million extension, but he got back into shape a couple seasons ago and became a starter until Andre Drummond eventually replaced him.
At 30, Maxiell is at the crossroads between heading to a contender for less money and searching for another high-paying, by the standard’s of his game, contract. He apparently took the money, because it’s difficult to imagine him getting more elsewhere.
Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News:
For the tanking Magic, this move doesn’t make much on-court sense. Maxiell is too limited – though he’s a capable mid-range jump shooter for his position and a decent defender – to help a team so far from playoff contention, and he’s too old to help the Magic by the time they’re good enough to win.
But he should be a good presence in the locker room, and that does have value. The Magic need someone, apparently Maxiell, to teach their younger players the ropes. If the youngsters grow quickly, Orlando can decline Maxiell’s team option. If they need more tutelage or Maxiell has a slight renaissance to the point he has trade value, the Magic can exercise the option.
Maxiell missed the final eight games of last season due to a detached retina, but the issue wasn’t expected to hinder him long-term.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 25
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 29
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4