Jul 18, 2013, 1:42 PM EDT
When several veterans boycotted a Pistons shootaround a couple years ago, no more-tenured player showed up than Jason Maxiell.
Maxiell has spent eight seasons with the Pistons, quietly going about his business. His weight was an issue at times after signing a four-year, $20 million extension, but he got back into shape a couple seasons ago and became a starter until Andre Drummond eventually replaced him.
At 30, Maxiell is at the crossroads between heading to a contender for less money and searching for another high-paying, by the standard’s of his game, contract. He apparently took the money, because it’s difficult to imagine him getting more elsewhere.
Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News:
For the tanking Magic, this move doesn’t make much on-court sense. Maxiell is too limited – though he’s a capable mid-range jump shooter for his position and a decent defender – to help a team so far from playoff contention, and he’s too old to help the Magic by the time they’re good enough to win.
But he should be a good presence in the locker room, and that does have value. The Magic need someone, apparently Maxiell, to teach their younger players the ropes. If the youngsters grow quickly, Orlando can decline Maxiell’s team option. If they need more tutelage or Maxiell has a slight renaissance to the point he has trade value, the Magic can exercise the option.
Maxiell missed the final eight games of last season due to a detached retina, but the issue wasn’t expected to hinder him long-term.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 7
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 1
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 11
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 30
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29