In a crowded Pelicans backcourt, Austin Rivers wants to show he belongs

Jul 18, 2013, 8:45 AM EDT

Austin Rivers Summer League AP

LAS VEGAS — Austin Rivers’ poor start to last season got a lot of attention — he was genuinely awful. Historically awful. For the season he ended with a PER of 5.9, the kind of number that normally would suggest his next paycheck will come from Europe. It’s the worst PER ever for a rookie who played more than 1,000 minutes.

What wasn’t noticed is that at the end of the season he played better — in his last 20 games he shot 50 percent overall, 40 percent from three. He wasn’t scoring a lot, but you could see improvement.

“Last year was up and down for me, I didn’t have a great year,” Rivers said Thursday after the Pelicans were eliminated from the Summer League tournament. “That was tough, it was the first time in my life where everything wasn’t roses and success. I had to look in the mirror and be like, ‘What am I going to do? Listen I have to play better I got to figure something out.’

“Then bam I figured it out and I’m playing really well, and then I break my hand. I was like, ‘golly, what is going on I finally start playing well and my hand breaks. Then I was like this is a test, I’m going to rehab the heck out of my hand and come back even better.”

He’s looked better in Las Vegas — he averaged 17.3 points a game in the Pelicans first three games to lead the team and shot 46.5 percent. He had 16 points on Thursday, but on 5-of-14 shooting.

Thursday against the Nuggets he was attacking the rim — only 4 of his 14 shots were on the perimeter (1-of-4), half of them were in the restricted area (5-of-7) and he got to the line seven times. Finishing is one of the things he is doing better.

“My strength, I’ve gained seven pounds, guys aren’t able to post me up. I’m able to go to the rack and finish, I’m bumping guys off and able to get to that floater,” Rivers said. “On defense I can use my chest more.”

His decision making with the ball is improved, and his defense is improved (but has a ways to go). Rivers has a ways to go, but he’s taking steps.

All of which is to say, if you’ve written Rivers off you did it too soon. He is looking more like a guy who can play in the league.

The question is will he do that with the Pelicans? New Orleans had one of the most interesting summers out there and loaded up on talent in Rivers’ position.

Rivers is a point guard and the Pelicans got All-Star Jrue Holiday from Philadelphia (in exchange for Nerlens Noel, basically). Eric Gordon is healthy and at the two, but he can handle the ball. So can Tyreke Evans, who might play the three or be the sixth man.

Where does Rivers fit in that rotation? He doesn’t know, but he’s confident he does fit in.

“Jrue Holiday’s an unbelievable player, (Gordon) is an unbelievable player, (Evans) is a great player, but I believe I am too,” Rivers said. “And I’ve got to continue to work and just listen to my coaches and I know if I do that I’ll make time and have an unbelievable year next year.”

He sounds like a coach’s son. But that’s a good thing, the kind of thing that can help a guy get past a slow start to make a quality NBA career.

Latest Posts
  1. Anthony Davis excited to get running in Alvin Gentry’s offense

Jul 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v New Orleans Pelicans - Game Four Getty Images

The Pelicans were one of the slowest paced teams in the NBA last season, that’s about to change.

2. Chris Kaman has new reality show, to air on Mark Cuban’s network

Jul 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Los Angeles Lakers Philadelphia 76ers v Los Angeles Lakers

“I think someone who would watch this would think there is something wrong with me and something wrong with my friends.” — Chris Kaman

3. Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves

Jul 29, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT

Shabazz Napier, Andre Miller Shabazz Napier, Andre Miller

Andrew Wiggins and Karl-Anthony Towns are about to be finishing alley-oops from the best lob passer in the game.

4. Warriors promote Luke Walton to lead assistant coach

Jul 29, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Kerr says Luke Walton is a future head coach in the NBA.

5. Raptors’ coach Dwane Casey says expect more small ball from the Raptors this year

Jul 29, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Washington Wizards - Game Four Getty Images

Toronto has shifted the roster to be more defensive, and be able to go smaller.

6. Raptors hire Jerry Stackhouse as assistant coach

Jul 29, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT

Stackhouse drives against Carter Getty Images

Rex Kalamian and Andy Greer also join Dwane Casey’s staff

7. Jerry Colangelo: I think LeBron James wants to be part of Team USA

Jul 29, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwmxmdgxmdzhnmq1mwfkn2ewnwi0m2zkowvjzwnhmdmz AP

Cavaliers star has avoided making a public decision

8. Brazil’s automatic basketball bid for 2016 Olympics in jeopardy over money

Jul 29, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT

Tiago Splitter, Rudy Fernandez, Leandrinho Barbosa AP

If Brazil qualifies through FIBA Americas Championship, that could close door for another North/South American team from qualifying

9. Phil Jackson on Kobe Bryant: ‘I could feel his hatred’

Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Charlotte Bobcats Getty Images

Lakers were in a bad place when Jackson first stepped away

10. LeBron James Twitter Q&A: NFL career, Kobe Bryant’s best play, Ronda Rousey and more

Jul 29, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers

Cavaliers star also addresses his favorites – including place to play, rapper, and teammates

11. Hornets sign Elliot Williams as 16th player

Jul 29, 2015, 9:26 AM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

He’ll likely compete with Aaron Harrison to make regular-season roster

12. Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market

Jul 29, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Four Getty Images

Cleveland’s Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith head the list.

13. Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments

Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT

Celebrities At Game 3 Of The Lakers/Suns Getty Images

Cuban said presidential candidate is ‘probably the best thing to happen to politics in a long, long time’

Top 10 NBA Player Searches