Jul 18, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
Andrew Wiggins — the presumptive No. 1 overall pick next draft, a wing who can score in a variety of ways and is thought to have a Durant-level impact on a team — is just like every kid who grew up rooting for and dreaming of playing for his hometown team. He has taken shots in the gym, picturing himself in their jersey, counting down “3…2…1” and hitting the game winner.
Wiggans, who will play next season for Kansas, grew up in Toronto.
After winning the Gatorade High School Athlete of the Year Award Tuesday, Wiggins told esnewsreporting.com he wants to win a national championship at Kansas, would love to play Kobe Bryant one-on-one and considers Michael Jordan the greatest ever, before talk turned to his preferred NBA home.
“I would like to say the Raptors, I want to play for them,” said Wiggins, who has been spotted many times sporting a Raptors cap.
Toronto, however, is not one of the teams going “woeful for Wiggins” next season — they have Rudy Gay, DeMar DeRozan, Kyle Lowry, and an improved Jonas Valanciunas (based on Summer League). The Raptors are not going to contend for a title next season, but they are not going to be in the running for the worst record in the NBA, either. Which makes it unlikely that they land Wiggins as a lot of teams are going to try and be bad to be near the top of a deep draft (that will be a big story the second half of next season).
But a boy can dream.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 13
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 28
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 5
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 47
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23