Jul 18, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
When we last heard from Baron Davis, he was attempting a career in comedy by telling a story of personal alien abduction that actually was taken seriously by more than one media outlet.
If you have to explain a joke, it isn’t funny, so maybe it’s best that Davis is attempting to get in shape to return to doing what at one point in his life he did best — playing basketball professionally.
Alan Hahn caught up with Davis at Summer League in Las Vegas, and during an interview televised on the MSG Network, Davis said he’s targeting a return to the NBA next season.
Between attempts at comedy, Davis says he has continued the rehabilitation process on the gruesome knee injury he suffered in the 2012 playoffs while playing for the Knicks. After taking the last season off (he spent a lot of time around the Knicks), he 34-year-old said he plans to return to the NBA this season.
“My whole thing is to get in the best shape of my life and by September or October be ready to showcase my talent and try out for whoever I need to try out for,” he said. “I think the most important thing is being in shape.”
Davis was being at least a little bit funny unintentionally here, as conditioning has been an area he’s struggled with at times over the course of his 13 NBA seasons.
When we last saw Davis on the court, it was playing for the Knicks back in May of 2012, when he suffered a brutal dislocated knee injury that has kept him out of action to this point. If he’s 100 percent healed and gets himself in peak physical condition as promised, there will be more than one team that will likely take a chance on the veteran guard for a minimum deal to fill out its roster.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 27
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 52
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 22