Jul 18, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
When we last heard from Baron Davis, he was attempting a career in comedy by telling a story of personal alien abduction that actually was taken seriously by more than one media outlet.
If you have to explain a joke, it isn’t funny, so maybe it’s best that Davis is attempting to get in shape to return to doing what at one point in his life he did best — playing basketball professionally.
Alan Hahn caught up with Davis at Summer League in Las Vegas, and during an interview televised on the MSG Network, Davis said he’s targeting a return to the NBA next season.
Between attempts at comedy, Davis says he has continued the rehabilitation process on the gruesome knee injury he suffered in the 2012 playoffs while playing for the Knicks. After taking the last season off (he spent a lot of time around the Knicks), he 34-year-old said he plans to return to the NBA this season.
“My whole thing is to get in the best shape of my life and by September or October be ready to showcase my talent and try out for whoever I need to try out for,” he said. “I think the most important thing is being in shape.”
Davis was being at least a little bit funny unintentionally here, as conditioning has been an area he’s struggled with at times over the course of his 13 NBA seasons.
When we last saw Davis on the court, it was playing for the Knicks back in May of 2012, when he suffered a brutal dislocated knee injury that has kept him out of action to this point. If he’s 100 percent healed and gets himself in peak physical condition as promised, there will be more than one team that will likely take a chance on the veteran guard for a minimum deal to fill out its roster.
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 2
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 26
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 21
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6