Jul 17, 2013, 1:30 AM EDT
LAS VEGAS — Summer League is more than just coaches in cargo shorts, although it is a lot of that. There’s a lot more going on, so here are some notes from Tuesday….
• Minnesota didn’t draft Gorgui Dieng because of his offense, still it feels like his footwork and overall game has regressed since he helped lead Louisville to the national title. That said, he looked a little better on Tuesday, shooting 3-of-4 for six points and five rebounds with only three fouls in 13 minutes (that may be below his Summer League pace). His defense has been okay but he showed a midrange and made some plays in college that have not been seen in Vegas.
“I think I’m getting adjusted,” to the NBA style game as opposed to college. “My first two games I was kind of lost, there were too many plays (to remember) and I was just thinking too much. Yesterday the coach sort of looked at me and said, ‘just play.’ I think I’m adjusting, a started running again. But it’s very different than the college game…
“I just need to get used to it, it’s a very different game. That’s why pros are pros.”
• Ben McLemore was getting good looks, his form is beautiful, you knew his shot would come around. In the second half Tuesday it did in a big way — 22 points on 7-of-10 shooting with 3-of-5 from three and he was perfect on all five attempts from the charity stripe. He struggled finding his range first couple games but coach Chris Jent told us after the first game the Kings coaches were not worried. They didn’t need to be.
• Portland’s Thomas Robinson (yes, that’s where he landed now) went hard to the glass in Tuesday. He’s not a guy who just rebounds his space but has the athleticism to go after balls other guys should get. He had nine rebounds in the first half alone Tuesday.
• Jonas Valanciunas continues to be the veteran who has shown the most improvement this Summer League — and the most physical change, he has gotten much stronger in the upper body. He had 18 points on 6-of-12 shooting plus 8 boards against the Kings Tuesday, he is putting that larger frame to use to be physical inside. Of course, that also led to 9 fouls Tuesday (you can’t foul out of Summer League).
• In Summer League you see so many guys with great crossovers or other moves that can get them to the rim — then most of them can’t finish. It’s the most Summer League of things. NBA moves and Summer League finishes. So many guards recklessly barrel into the lane looking for contact with no idea how to close other than to just yell “and one.”
• Along those lines, Shabazz Muhammed struggled to finish around the rim Tuesday, continuing a trend all Summer League. He shot 3-of-9 in a win over the Heat, he clearly made a point of trying to get his looks closer to the rim and when he was contested he struggled to finish. He also got stripped cleanly in transition at least once when he didn’t really protect the ball from a defender.
He is now 9-of-25 overall and 3-of-8 from three in three Summer League games. It’s something to watch because he was drafted to be a scorer and so far he has struggled some in that role.
• John Henson was back on the court for the Bucks, he had taken a game off due to a sore groin, and grabbed nine rebounds in the first quarter. So I guess the groin is fine.
• Here is a link to a great story at Ridiculous Upside about the financial grind of most of the guys playing in the NBA Summer League. Outside a handful of high draft pick exceptions, these guys are not doing this for the money.
• The soundtrack of the Summer League in the Cox Center is like the soundtrack to the summer of 1998. “Bust A Move,” “Get Jiggy With It” and so on. I just gotta throw my hands up in the air sometimes….
• Portland’s Will Barton was held out of Tuesday’s game against the Bulls due to a sore right knee.
• Toronto released Ricky Harris and Mark Lyons from their Summer League squad.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 76
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32