Jul 17, 2013, 6:58 PM EST
But with Jose Calderon gone the Raptors backup at the point was Dwight Buycks, who has looked pretty good in Summer League but is not somebody you yet want to trust with that role full time, not yet anyway.
So the Raptors reached a deal with D.J. Augustin, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. The deal is for one year at $1.2 million.
Augustin was the backup point for George Hill in Indiana last season, but he wasn’t all that impressive — he averaged 4.7 points a game, shot 35 percent overall (but a respectable 35 percent from three), and had a pretty “meh” PER of 11.
The Pacers upgraded at that spot by picking up C.J. Watson. So Augustin was available.
It’s not a thrilling pickup for the Raptors, but the price is fair.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 10
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0