Jul 17, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
But with Jose Calderon gone the Raptors backup at the point was Dwight Buycks, who has looked pretty good in Summer League but is not somebody you yet want to trust with that role full time, not yet anyway.
So the Raptors reached a deal with D.J. Augustin, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. The deal is for one year at $1.2 million.
Augustin was the backup point for George Hill in Indiana last season, but he wasn’t all that impressive — he averaged 4.7 points a game, shot 35 percent overall (but a respectable 35 percent from three), and had a pretty “meh” PER of 11.
The Pacers upgraded at that spot by picking up C.J. Watson. So Augustin was available.
It’s not a thrilling pickup for the Raptors, but the price is fair.
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 0
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 16
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2