Jul 17, 2013, 6:58 PM EST
But with Jose Calderon gone the Raptors backup at the point was Dwight Buycks, who has looked pretty good in Summer League but is not somebody you yet want to trust with that role full time, not yet anyway.
So the Raptors reached a deal with D.J. Augustin, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. The deal is for one year at $1.2 million.
Augustin was the backup point for George Hill in Indiana last season, but he wasn’t all that impressive — he averaged 4.7 points a game, shot 35 percent overall (but a respectable 35 percent from three), and had a pretty “meh” PER of 11.
The Pacers upgraded at that spot by picking up C.J. Watson. So Augustin was available.
It’s not a thrilling pickup for the Raptors, but the price is fair.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 5
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 13
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 30
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10