Jul 17, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
But with Jose Calderon gone the Raptors backup at the point was Dwight Buycks, who has looked pretty good in Summer League but is not somebody you yet want to trust with that role full time, not yet anyway.
So the Raptors reached a deal with D.J. Augustin, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. The deal is for one year at $1.2 million.
Augustin was the backup point for George Hill in Indiana last season, but he wasn’t all that impressive — he averaged 4.7 points a game, shot 35 percent overall (but a respectable 35 percent from three), and had a pretty “meh” PER of 11.
The Pacers upgraded at that spot by picking up C.J. Watson. So Augustin was available.
It’s not a thrilling pickup for the Raptors, but the price is fair.
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to oversee basketball operations 0
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 5
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 13
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker suspended one game for blow to head of Blake Griffin 9
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 14