Jul 17, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
But with Jose Calderon gone the Raptors backup at the point was Dwight Buycks, who has looked pretty good in Summer League but is not somebody you yet want to trust with that role full time, not yet anyway.
So the Raptors reached a deal with D.J. Augustin, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. The deal is for one year at $1.2 million.
Augustin was the backup point for George Hill in Indiana last season, but he wasn’t all that impressive — he averaged 4.7 points a game, shot 35 percent overall (but a respectable 35 percent from three), and had a pretty “meh” PER of 11.
The Pacers upgraded at that spot by picking up C.J. Watson. So Augustin was available.
It’s not a thrilling pickup for the Raptors, but the price is fair.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9