Jul 17, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
But with Jose Calderon gone the Raptors backup at the point was Dwight Buycks, who has looked pretty good in Summer League but is not somebody you yet want to trust with that role full time, not yet anyway.
So the Raptors reached a deal with D.J. Augustin, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. The deal is for one year at $1.2 million.
Augustin was the backup point for George Hill in Indiana last season, but he wasn’t all that impressive — he averaged 4.7 points a game, shot 35 percent overall (but a respectable 35 percent from three), and had a pretty “meh” PER of 11.
The Pacers upgraded at that spot by picking up C.J. Watson. So Augustin was available.
It’s not a thrilling pickup for the Raptors, but the price is fair.
- PBT Extra: Grizzlies searching for answers, Mike Conley in Game 2 1
- PBT Extra: Hawks need to lean on starters more, hit open looks in Game 2 0
- CP3 who? Clippers come from behind to take Game 1 from Rockets on road. 20
- Bulls ride hot start, strong shooting night to Game 1 win in Cleveland 24
- Chris Paul out for Game 1 of Clippers-Rockets series 1
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry is the MVP for a modern NBA 13
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Previews: Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Chicago Bulls 6
- PBT Extra: Can Jimmy Butler have success slowing LeBron James? 5