Jul 17, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
But with Jose Calderon gone the Raptors backup at the point was Dwight Buycks, who has looked pretty good in Summer League but is not somebody you yet want to trust with that role full time, not yet anyway.
So the Raptors reached a deal with D.J. Augustin, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. The deal is for one year at $1.2 million.
Augustin was the backup point for George Hill in Indiana last season, but he wasn’t all that impressive — he averaged 4.7 points a game, shot 35 percent overall (but a respectable 35 percent from three), and had a pretty “meh” PER of 11.
The Pacers upgraded at that spot by picking up C.J. Watson. So Augustin was available.
It’s not a thrilling pickup for the Raptors, but the price is fair.
- Charlotte is scrappy but Heat have too much in comfortable 99-88 win 4
- Spurs use huge 4th quarter run to come back and win Game 1 vs. Mavericks 7
- NBA issues statement saying Chris Paul was fouled before late-game turnover against Warriors 15
- Jim Buss says he’ll step down if Lakers aren’t contenders again in ‘three to four years’ 29
- Thunder start fast, cruise to Game 1 win over Grizzlies 4