Jul 17, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
What they didn’t have was a real defender in the paint — but they have solved that problem. Or at least tried to solve it.
Sources told ESPN.com that the Dalembert has agreed to sign with the Mavericks as they continue to work on the final points of a contract.
Dalembert would start for them.
The Mavericks are also in the Greg Oden sweepstakes (is it really a sweepstakes?) but even if they land the former No. 1 pick you want another big on the roster. Oden may not be the most reliable big ever. Just sayin’.
This will be Dalmbert’s fifth different team in five seasons. Dalembert spent last season in Milwaukee where he only played 47 games. He is a more efficient scorer than he gets credit for, but you don’t really want him shooting that’s not why he is on the floor — he’s a solid defensive big man in the paint. That’s what Dallas needs. Dalembert struggles defensively with guys who spread the floor, but mostly it’s just about rim protection.
The Mavs needed that and got a solid pickup.
The Mavs may keep Bernard James on the roster as a backup big, Stein adds.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 17
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10