Jul 17, 2013, 8:53 PM EST
What they didn’t have was a real defender in the paint — but they have solved that problem. Or at least tried to solve it.
Sources told ESPN.com that the Dalembert has agreed to sign with the Mavericks as they continue to work on the final points of a contract.
Dalembert would start for them.
The Mavericks are also in the Greg Oden sweepstakes (is it really a sweepstakes?) but even if they land the former No. 1 pick you want another big on the roster. Oden may not be the most reliable big ever. Just sayin’.
This will be Dalmbert’s fifth different team in five seasons. Dalembert spent last season in Milwaukee where he only played 47 games. He is a more efficient scorer than he gets credit for, but you don’t really want him shooting that’s not why he is on the floor — he’s a solid defensive big man in the paint. That’s what Dallas needs. Dalembert struggles defensively with guys who spread the floor, but mostly it’s just about rim protection.
The Mavs needed that and got a solid pickup.
The Mavs may keep Bernard James on the roster as a backup big, Stein adds.
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 4
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 24
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36