Jul 17, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
What they didn’t have was a real defender in the paint — but they have solved that problem. Or at least tried to solve it.
Sources told ESPN.com that the Dalembert has agreed to sign with the Mavericks as they continue to work on the final points of a contract.
Dalembert would start for them.
The Mavericks are also in the Greg Oden sweepstakes (is it really a sweepstakes?) but even if they land the former No. 1 pick you want another big on the roster. Oden may not be the most reliable big ever. Just sayin’.
This will be Dalmbert’s fifth different team in five seasons. Dalembert spent last season in Milwaukee where he only played 47 games. He is a more efficient scorer than he gets credit for, but you don’t really want him shooting that’s not why he is on the floor — he’s a solid defensive big man in the paint. That’s what Dallas needs. Dalembert struggles defensively with guys who spread the floor, but mostly it’s just about rim protection.
The Mavs needed that and got a solid pickup.
The Mavs may keep Bernard James on the roster as a backup big, Stein adds.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 16
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 9
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 14
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23