Jul 17, 2013, 8:53 PM EST
What they didn’t have was a real defender in the paint — but they have solved that problem. Or at least tried to solve it.
Sources told ESPN.com that the Dalembert has agreed to sign with the Mavericks as they continue to work on the final points of a contract.
Dalembert would start for them.
The Mavericks are also in the Greg Oden sweepstakes (is it really a sweepstakes?) but even if they land the former No. 1 pick you want another big on the roster. Oden may not be the most reliable big ever. Just sayin’.
This will be Dalmbert’s fifth different team in five seasons. Dalembert spent last season in Milwaukee where he only played 47 games. He is a more efficient scorer than he gets credit for, but you don’t really want him shooting that’s not why he is on the floor — he’s a solid defensive big man in the paint. That’s what Dallas needs. Dalembert struggles defensively with guys who spread the floor, but mostly it’s just about rim protection.
The Mavs needed that and got a solid pickup.
The Mavs may keep Bernard James on the roster as a backup big, Stein adds.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 8
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11