Jul 17, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
The Cleveland Cavaliers certainly could use some more shooting to space the floor. They have Dion Waiters (who is shooting just 29.5 percent in Summer League, it hasn’t been pretty) and Kyrie Irving can knock down shots (as can Jarrett Jack as his sub). However, they lack bigs who can space the floor. The Cavaliers also want to make the playoffs and could use some veterans.
So why not take a chance on Mike Miller, the guy Miami just amnestied? Well, sure, injuries. But don’t let that stop you.
The Cleveland Cavaliers are strongly considering making an amnesty waiver bid to claim former Miami Heat forward Mike Miller, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
When a player is amnestied he goes on waivers and teams under the salary cap can bid to take over a portion of his salary and get the player. In this case, Miller is owed $6.2 million next season, the Cavaliers can claim him off waivers and pay, say, $1.5 million of that and get him (the Heat would pay the remaining $4.7 million, but they would save on the luxury tax as Miller comes off the official books).
If the Cavaliers or another team does not claim him off waivers (a 48 hour window) Miller becomes an unrestricted free agent.
The Rockets are reportedly one team interested if Miller does clear waivers.
Just be careful about expecting much. He has a body that has seen it’s share of wear and tear, and he has played in just 60 percent of the Heat’s games the past three seasons. He had some big playoff games certainly, but the Miami Heat can afford to use a guy in that kind of limited role. Can the Cavaliers?
The flip side is of course that Mike Miller and LeBron James are friends, and the Cavaliers want to recruit LeBron next summer. It’s a nice idea, but I feel comfortable saying the presence of Mike Miller or not will not be a key factor for LeBron when it comes time to make a decision.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28