Jul 17, 2013, 5:59 PM EDT
Just six other players have matched the per-minute scoring, rebounding and blocking rates Andre Drummond posted last season (minimum: 400 minutes).
Most of them are in the Hall of Fame. Bill Walton did it ages 22 and 24, Robert Parish at 25, Hakeem Olajuwon at 27 and 28 and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar at 28. Another likely future Hall of Famer, Dwight Howard, did it at 23 and 24. Marvin Webster put together such a season, too, at age 24.
All in all, it’s pretty great company. Those are difficult marks to reach, and the few who’ve played so well have done so in their primes.
Drummond did it at 19.
So, it’s no wonder the Pistons hold him in such high esteem.
Joe Dumars, via Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News:
“There are guys who, a pecking order of things we would or wouldn’t do, Drummond is certainly one of those guys we wouldn’t move,” said Dumars, who wouldn’t claim anyone else as “untouchable”.
I don’t really like the idea of an untouchable player. What if the Heat offer LeBron James for Drummond? The Pistons wouldn’t say no.
Of course, Miami wouldn’t trade LeBron for Drummond, and perhaps I’m being too literal. Drummond has the potential to become the type of singular force teams don’t trade for packages of lesser players, and those top-end players are rarely traded for each other. So, obviously, finding a worthwhile trade involving Drummond would be extremely difficult, perhaps to the point of impossible, even if the Pistons were willing to deal him.
Regardless of the semantics, Drummond isn’t going anywhere. But what about Greg Monroe, whom Dumars didn’t mention?
some teams inquired about Monroe before the draft and were met with a flat “no” as to his availability.
Monroe has proven more than Drummond, but he’s older, heading into free agency next offseason and has shown few indications of defensive development. He’s the type of player who’s good enough to command a package full of valuable, but lesser, players, but not too good to preclude the Pistons from trading him.
The Pistons obviously aren’t rushing to trade Monroe, but it’s certainly more likely than them trading Drummond.
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 43
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 55
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 10