Jul 17, 2013, 4:43 PM EDT
Marcus Camby will soon be a free agent.
From the moment he was shipped back to Toronto in the Andrea Bargnani trade, Camby has been clear he didn’t want to play for the Raptors. He’s got a couple years left in the league, playing the role of backup big off the bench for the league minimum, and he wants to do that where he can get a ring.
Toronto has cool with that and the sides reached a buyout agreement, the Raptors announced. He was placed on waivers, which he certainly will clear. He was owed $8.5 million for the next two seasons but only $1 million of that was guaranteed.
This makes Camby an unrestricted free agent. The Bulls, Rockets and Clippers are reportedly interested, and you can expect a few other teams to throw their hat in the ring.
When healthy — he has only played in 43 games combined the past two seasons — he can still defend in the paint and has a midrange jumper you have to respect. But he’s not a big impact player for any of these teams.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 27
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 50
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28