Jul 17, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT
How Houston incorporates Dwight Howard into their offense is going to be interesting. Here are two facts to dwell on:
1) The Houston Rockets played at the fastest pace in the NBA last season. They averaged 98.6 possessions per game, which was faster than the Nuggets (97.8), faster than the Warriors (96.8), faster than everyone. They were a fast break team that ran a lot of pick-and-roll.
2) Dwight Howard didn’t enjoy running the up-tempo, pick-and-roll heavy offense of Mike D’Antoni wanted to install with the Lakers last season.
D’Antoni emphasized that point and told the Los Angeles Daily News he isn’t sure Howard is going to be a great fit in Houston.
“Steve Nash and Dwight Howard on the pick and roll, and that’s what I do?” D’Antoni remembers, wistfully. “I just thought, ‘Boy, that’s gonna be a staple….’ “
“The thing that cracks me up is Houston, they do the exact same thing,” D’Antoni said, laughing. “And so (Howard) is gonna go to Houston? OK, so did they talk about change there? Don’t tell me that it’s that different.”
Kevin McHale went into detail with Howard when they met on how he wanted to use Howard in the offense, and the free agent center bought in and decided to take his talents to the Houston. They are apparently on the same page, at least right now. But in interviews since the signing McHale has talked about the value of Howard in the pick-and-roll with James Harden and Jeremy Lin and how he wants to use him that way. Look at it this way, in the past three seasons Howard has never shot better than a little over 50 percent on post isolations, but never lower than 74 percent as the roll man (via Synergy Sports). McHale’s smart enough to see what works.
Houston is certainly going to look different on offense — they should get Howard post touches, he is good there, but that will slow things down some. Things will change, the question is how much for the better? Remember the Rockets scored well last season — 106.7 points scored per 100 possessions, sixth best in the league.
If the Rockets can continue to score around that pace and start to defend better than the pedestrian level they were at last year, that is where Howard really can make a difference.
D’Antoni is a little bitter about Howard bolting, and I get that. But he’s not wrong in saying what Howard didn’t like in the Lakers offense is what made the Rockets good last season.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:06 AM EDT
New floor should be in place for the start of the 2014-15 season.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT
Professional sports franchises are businesses above all else, and typically would rather avoid politics.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Sep 30, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Everyone wants to derail the 76ers’ plan
Sep 30, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
I don’t know whether this helps Kentucky’s players. It opens Calipari’s options, though.
Sep 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
Now we know what show promos TNT is going to beat us over the head with during the next playoffs.
Sep 30, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Expectations are reduced, but Miami still has the chance to be pretty a pretty good team — even without LeBron James.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
Sep 30, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
John Wall fires back: ‘They haven’t seen a playoff game yet. When they make one they can start talking.’
Sep 30, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Thunder center has a new, um intense, loook
Sep 30, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Mike Miller being amnestied may have been the first domino to fall in LeBron bolting.
Sep 30, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Sep 30, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Is Melo even a superstar?
Sep 30, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
LeBron could miss Cavaliers’ practice tonight
Sep 30, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
The NBA is just more fun with Swaggy P in it.
Sep 30, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
It does — at least Kobe’s
Sep 30, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
Manning leads by detailed preparation and then an ability to read a defense, a good example for any point guard.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
GM Ainge hints he’d offer the max to Rondo next summer.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
We could see a lot more of this during the season.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36