Jul 17, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT
How Houston incorporates Dwight Howard into their offense is going to be interesting. Here are two facts to dwell on:
1) The Houston Rockets played at the fastest pace in the NBA last season. They averaged 98.6 possessions per game, which was faster than the Nuggets (97.8), faster than the Warriors (96.8), faster than everyone. They were a fast break team that ran a lot of pick-and-roll.
2) Dwight Howard didn’t enjoy running the up-tempo, pick-and-roll heavy offense of Mike D’Antoni wanted to install with the Lakers last season.
D’Antoni emphasized that point and told the Los Angeles Daily News he isn’t sure Howard is going to be a great fit in Houston.
“Steve Nash and Dwight Howard on the pick and roll, and that’s what I do?” D’Antoni remembers, wistfully. “I just thought, ‘Boy, that’s gonna be a staple….’ ”
“The thing that cracks me up is Houston, they do the exact same thing,” D’Antoni said, laughing. “And so (Howard) is gonna go to Houston? OK, so did they talk about change there? Don’t tell me that it’s that different.”
Kevin McHale went into detail with Howard when they met on how he wanted to use Howard in the offense, and the free agent center bought in and decided to take his talents to the Houston. They are apparently on the same page, at least right now. But in interviews since the signing McHale has talked about the value of Howard in the pick-and-roll with James Harden and Jeremy Lin and how he wants to use him that way. Look at it this way, in the past three seasons Howard has never shot better than a little over 50 percent on post isolations, but never lower than 74 percent as the roll man (via Synergy Sports). McHale’s smart enough to see what works.
Houston is certainly going to look different on offense — they should get Howard post touches, he is good there, but that will slow things down some. Things will change, the question is how much for the better? Remember the Rockets scored well last season — 106.7 points scored per 100 possessions, sixth best in the league.
If the Rockets can continue to score around that pace and start to defend better than the pedestrian level they were at last year, that is where Howard really can make a difference.
D’Antoni is a little bitter about Howard bolting, and I get that. But he’s not wrong in saying what Howard didn’t like in the Lakers offense is what made the Rockets good last season.
Sep 4, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
They sell shoes in Germany, too.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:59 PM EDT
He shows promise as a good NBA center.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
He’s coming off an ACL surgery and misses the start of the season.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Quincy Pondexter could be out longer.
Sep 4, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
The real banner goes up opening night.
Sep 4, 2015, 4:59 PM EDT
That locker room was a hot mess.
Sep 4, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
Do they, though?
Sep 4, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
…from his own company
Sep 4, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
Given the strength of the Western Conference, they should be
Sep 4, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
That’ll make owners more prone to locking out players
Sep 4, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
Houston also reportedly adding Denzel Livingston, Remi Yusuf, Will Cummings
Sep 4, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Rocky plays the heel
Sep 4, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Durant played with New York coach Derek Fisher
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Will San Antonio extend it?
Sep 4, 2015, 8:32 AM EDT
He shot just 34 percent in Summer League.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
If he’s healthy and the vintage, athletic McGee Dallas could use him.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:33 AM EDT
Thomas is a former No. 4 overall pick.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
The street artist Madsteez painted the commissioned piece.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Weber played four years in college.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Someone should tell him that isn’t up to him.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18