Jul 17, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
How far could this Chicago Bulls go fully healthy in the playoffs now?
It sounds like the plan is to find out.
Three seasons ago they won 62 games and made it to the conference finals, only to fall to the Heat. The next season it was 50 wins in a lockout-shortened season (the best record in the East) but the Derrick Rose knee injury meant a first round playoff exit. No Rose all of last season led to 45 wins and a second round exit where the Bulls never felt like a real threat to the best teams.
This coming season Rose will be back and rather than make a bunch of roster moves they plan to keep the band together — which means no Luol Deng trades, Bulls GM Gar Forman told the Sun-Times. In fact, they may talk contract extension.
“Well, we love Luol,’’ Forman, who arrived into Vegas on Monday to watch Summer League play, said. “We see Luol as a valuable member of this team moving forward, so the window is open to talk about an extension. We’ve had some conversations. Whether something gets done, I don’t know. But whether it’s this summer or next summer, those are conversations we’ll continue to have….
“I mean our goal has been to bring this group back, and I know [Deng’s] name was floated out there [in trade rumors], but we didn’t initiate calls,’’ Forman said. “We’ve gotten calls on some of our guys, but our goal has been to bring this group back healthy.’’
The Bulls will win a lot of regular season games with this roster healthy, likely finishing in the top three in the East. (Healthy being the key word, Tom Thibodeau can’t run Deng or Joakim Noah into the ground in the regular season.) But can this roster get out of the second round of the playoffs — could they beat the Heat or Pacers? What about a healthy Nets team?
I don’t know. I have my doubts about them and the Heat or Pacers, but we really don’t know.
Sounds like the plan is to find out.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 13
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 28
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 5
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 47
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23