Jul 17, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
How far could this Chicago Bulls go fully healthy in the playoffs now?
It sounds like the plan is to find out.
Three seasons ago they won 62 games and made it to the conference finals, only to fall to the Heat. The next season it was 50 wins in a lockout-shortened season (the best record in the East) but the Derrick Rose knee injury meant a first round playoff exit. No Rose all of last season led to 45 wins and a second round exit where the Bulls never felt like a real threat to the best teams.
This coming season Rose will be back and rather than make a bunch of roster moves they plan to keep the band together — which means no Luol Deng trades, Bulls GM Gar Forman told the Sun-Times. In fact, they may talk contract extension.
“Well, we love Luol,’’ Forman, who arrived into Vegas on Monday to watch Summer League play, said. “We see Luol as a valuable member of this team moving forward, so the window is open to talk about an extension. We’ve had some conversations. Whether something gets done, I don’t know. But whether it’s this summer or next summer, those are conversations we’ll continue to have….
“I mean our goal has been to bring this group back, and I know [Deng’s] name was floated out there [in trade rumors], but we didn’t initiate calls,’’ Forman said. “We’ve gotten calls on some of our guys, but our goal has been to bring this group back healthy.’’
The Bulls will win a lot of regular season games with this roster healthy, likely finishing in the top three in the East. (Healthy being the key word, Tom Thibodeau can’t run Deng or Joakim Noah into the ground in the regular season.) But can this roster get out of the second round of the playoffs — could they beat the Heat or Pacers? What about a healthy Nets team?
I don’t know. I have my doubts about them and the Heat or Pacers, but we really don’t know.
Sounds like the plan is to find out.
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 0
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 5
- Pat Riley: ‘No more smiling faces with hidden agendas.’ That’s totally about LeBron, right? 30
- Report: One Trail Blazers player gives LaMarcus Aldridge just 50-50 chance of re-signing 9
- Clippers put on offensive showcase, take Game 1 vs. Spurs 10