Report: Raptors nearing buyout with Marcus Camby, who will receive interest from Clippers, Bulls and Rockets
Jul 16, 2013, 10:45 PM EST
Marcus Camby wasn’t happy to be traded to the Raptors, who tried to flip him before the deal – also involving Andrea Bargnani – ever became official. When that didn’t happen, Camby again expressed his desire for a buyout or trade.
Because of his high salary – $4,383,773 next season and $4,177,208 the following year ($1,025,890 guaranteed) – age and lack of production, the 39-year-old Camby doesn’t have much trade value. This was clearly coming down to how much Camby valued his guaranteed salary and how much he was willing to give up in exchange for his freedom to choose his next team.
Apparently, Camby has found the right number. Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:
The Raptors are expected to buy out newcomer C Marcus Camby on the final 2 years of contract soon, a source told Y! LAC, CHI, HOU interested—
Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) July 17, 2013
Of that group, the Clippers seem like they’d be the best fit. Los Angeles needs more big-man depth behind Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan to battle Dwight Howard and the Rockets, Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph of the Grizzlies and Tim Duncan and Tiago Splitter of the Spurs. The Clippers are a bona fide championship contender, and in a limited role, Camby might help them.
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 17
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 15
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 28
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 42
- Extra Pass: Golden State Warriors defending at historically high level 5