Report: Raptors nearing buyout with Marcus Camby, who will receive interest from Clippers, Bulls and Rockets
Jul 16, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Marcus Camby wasn’t happy to be traded to the Raptors, who tried to flip him before the deal – also involving Andrea Bargnani – ever became official. When that didn’t happen, Camby again expressed his desire for a buyout or trade.
Because of his high salary – $4,383,773 next season and $4,177,208 the following year ($1,025,890 guaranteed) – age and lack of production, the 39-year-old Camby doesn’t have much trade value. This was clearly coming down to how much Camby valued his guaranteed salary and how much he was willing to give up in exchange for his freedom to choose his next team.
Apparently, Camby has found the right number. Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:
Of that group, the Clippers seem like they’d be the best fit. Los Angeles needs more big-man depth behind Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan to battle Dwight Howard and the Rockets, Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph of the Grizzlies and Tim Duncan and Tiago Splitter of the Spurs. The Clippers are a bona fide championship contender, and in a limited role, Camby might help them.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 28
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18