Report: Raptors nearing buyout with Marcus Camby, who will receive interest from Clippers, Bulls and Rockets
Jul 16, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Marcus Camby wasn’t happy to be traded to the Raptors, who tried to flip him before the deal – also involving Andrea Bargnani – ever became official. When that didn’t happen, Camby again expressed his desire for a buyout or trade.
Because of his high salary – $4,383,773 next season and $4,177,208 the following year ($1,025,890 guaranteed) – age and lack of production, the 39-year-old Camby doesn’t have much trade value. This was clearly coming down to how much Camby valued his guaranteed salary and how much he was willing to give up in exchange for his freedom to choose his next team.
Apparently, Camby has found the right number. Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:
The Raptors are expected to buy out newcomer C Marcus Camby on the final 2 years of contract soon, a source told Y! LAC, CHI, HOU interested—
Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) July 17, 2013
Of that group, the Clippers seem like they’d be the best fit. Los Angeles needs more big-man depth behind Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan to battle Dwight Howard and the Rockets, Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph of the Grizzlies and Tim Duncan and Tiago Splitter of the Spurs. The Clippers are a bona fide championship contender, and in a limited role, Camby might help them.
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 22
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 21
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26