Jul 16, 2013, 1:54 PM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks had a deal to bring Devin Harris back as their point guard, 3 years and $9 million. They had shipped a promising young Harris out in the Jason Kidd deal back in 2008, but now they were bringing him back home. All he had to do was pass that team physical…
Except he didn’t. X-Rays found he had a dislocated toe on his left foot that would require surgery to fix. So Dallas killed the deal he had in place.
But now the two sides are back at it trying to come to terms on a new contract, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
The team is set at the point already, so this is not going to be a big contract. Jose Calderon will start, behind him will be Israeli league MVP Gal Mekel who has shown a lot of promise at Summer League. Harris will get into the rotation if/when he signs and eventually returns. There is also promising rookie Shane Larkin, who is out with a broken ankle but should be back for the start of the season.
Monta Ellis is going to dominate the ball anyway, but it’s good to have some point guards on the roster.
- PBT Extra: Will Kevin Love, Dwyane Wade be moving on? 6
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson cleared to play in Game 1 5
- PBT Extra: Who is better positioned as a new coach, Hoiberg or Gentry? 13
- LeBron James leads the league in isolation shots during the playoffs. How’s that going? 20
- How do the Cavaliers defend Stephen Curry? 16
- Warriors have options to guard LeBron James, but he’ll make them work 29
- What kind of coach is Chicago getting with Fred Hoiberg? 15
- PBT Extra: Finals preview, how good are new and improved Cavaliers? 9