Jul 16, 2013, 1:54 PM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks had a deal to bring Devin Harris back as their point guard, 3 years and $9 million. They had shipped a promising young Harris out in the Jason Kidd deal back in 2008, but now they were bringing him back home. All he had to do was pass that team physical…
Except he didn’t. X-Rays found he had a dislocated toe on his left foot that would require surgery to fix. So Dallas killed the deal he had in place.
But now the two sides are back at it trying to come to terms on a new contract, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
Details still being sorted out but Harris & Mavs, I'm told, on course for their planned reunion w/revised contract. DH aiming for NOV return—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 16, 2013
The team is set at the point already, so this is not going to be a big contract. Jose Calderon will start, behind him will be Israeli league MVP Gal Mekel who has shown a lot of promise at Summer League. Harris will get into the rotation if/when he signs and eventually returns. There is also promising rookie Shane Larkin, who is out with a broken ankle but should be back for the start of the season.
Monta Ellis is going to dominate the ball anyway, but it’s good to have some point guards on the roster.
- Charlotte is scrappy but Heat have too much in comfortable 99-88 win 4
- Spurs use huge 4th quarter run to come back and win Game 1 vs. Mavericks 7
- NBA issues statement saying Chris Paul was fouled before late-game turnover against Warriors 15
- Jim Buss says he’ll step down if Lakers aren’t contenders again in ‘three to four years’ 29
- Thunder start fast, cruise to Game 1 win over Grizzlies 4