Jul 16, 2013, 1:54 PM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks had a deal to bring Devin Harris back as their point guard, 3 years and $9 million. They had shipped a promising young Harris out in the Jason Kidd deal back in 2008, but now they were bringing him back home. All he had to do was pass that team physical…
Except he didn’t. X-Rays found he had a dislocated toe on his left foot that would require surgery to fix. So Dallas killed the deal he had in place.
But now the two sides are back at it trying to come to terms on a new contract, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
The team is set at the point already, so this is not going to be a big contract. Jose Calderon will start, behind him will be Israeli league MVP Gal Mekel who has shown a lot of promise at Summer League. Harris will get into the rotation if/when he signs and eventually returns. There is also promising rookie Shane Larkin, who is out with a broken ankle but should be back for the start of the season.
Monta Ellis is going to dominate the ball anyway, but it’s good to have some point guards on the roster.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 20
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 18
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 17
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80