Jul 16, 2013, 1:54 PM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks had a deal to bring Devin Harris back as their point guard, 3 years and $9 million. They had shipped a promising young Harris out in the Jason Kidd deal back in 2008, but now they were bringing him back home. All he had to do was pass that team physical…
Except he didn’t. X-Rays found he had a dislocated toe on his left foot that would require surgery to fix. So Dallas killed the deal he had in place.
But now the two sides are back at it trying to come to terms on a new contract, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
Details still being sorted out but Harris & Mavs, I'm told, on course for their planned reunion w/revised contract. DH aiming for NOV return—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 16, 2013
The team is set at the point already, so this is not going to be a big contract. Jose Calderon will start, behind him will be Israeli league MVP Gal Mekel who has shown a lot of promise at Summer League. Harris will get into the rotation if/when he signs and eventually returns. There is also promising rookie Shane Larkin, who is out with a broken ankle but should be back for the start of the season.
Monta Ellis is going to dominate the ball anyway, but it’s good to have some point guards on the roster.
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 0
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 35
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 79
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 19
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48