Jul 16, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
This was probably true even before the Bucks made a run at Jeff Teague — remember a year ago Brandon Jennings changed agents and it was believed because he wanted the new guy to get him out of Milwaukee and to a bigger market.
But now comes another report that Jennings does not want to return to the Bucks comes via Sean Deveney of the Sporting News.
According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Jennings does not want to go back to play for the Bucks next season.
The Bucks are reportedly looking at potential sign-and-trade offers for Jennings, with Gery Woelfel of the Journal Times saying there are rumors of a talk with the Pistons (who have Brandon Knight at the point but might consider Jennings an upgrade).
The question is how much would the Pistons or any team be willing to give Jennings?
Jennings wanted a deal in the neighborhood of $12 million a year, similar to deals that Stephen Curry and Ty Lawson got a year ago. Problem is, Jennings just isn’t as good as them, he hasn’t earned that kind of payday. He scores 17.5 points and 6.5 assists a game and can get into the lane. But he shot just 39.9 percent (but 35.7 percent from three), he has the quickness to get into the lane but struggles to finish there, and he takes a lot of bad shots. He’s not a strong defender, either.
Still, Jennings is a young point guard that puts up points — he could help a lot of teams. The question is now much they would pay for what he brings — as Monta Ellis and others found, this is not a strong market for volume scorers.
The one thing that is clear is that the bridges between Jennings and Milwaukee are burned and if he is going to go back there is a lot of rebuilding to do. More likely he just moves on.
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 5
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 21
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 21
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 7
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 64