Jul 16, 2013, 12:40 AM EDT
LAS VEGAS — There is a whole lot going on in Las Vegas… and we’re not just talking about the TAO nightclub. It’s Summer League and here is stuff from my notebook today (well, if I had a notebook, more stuff from my MacBook Air really)….
• The scouting report is out — Golden State overplayed Sacramento Kings rookie Ben McLemore’s right hand, shifted their defense on him and dared him to try and go left. He didn’t, even when he went left he tried to pull it back and move right to get his shot. The result was a 4-of-12 shooting night for the No. 7 pick.
“I don’t feel like they were,” McLemore said of the effort to push him left. “They was just trying to stop me from shooting. That’s what most teams going to do, so when I see that I’m going to drive to the hole, get into the lane, get to the line.”
When McLemore tried to drive the need to improve his handles showed — he lost the ball a couple times, once getting away with a carry before he was stripped in the pant. But Warriors coach Mike Malone wants him to keep driving.
“That was one of the things they said about him coming out of Kansas, that right now he’s a straight-line driver but he doesn’t have the great ability to break his man down off the dribble so along with his shot selection we’re going to work on his handle,” Malone said….
“He has to realize… that if your jump shot’s not going sometimes drive the ball, get to the foul line, get an easy one, see that ball go through the net and that will help you out for your next one.”
• Shabazz Muhammad is not shy on the court — he wants the rock every time down, his hands are up constantly asking for the ball. He’s got a scorer’s mentality and he works really hard off the ball to get open — these are good things. Clearly someone on the Minnesota staff talked to him about passing more so he was trying hard to show he can dish, which led to a few forced attempts, but he was trying.
• Andrew Goudelock had another big scoring night for the Bulls — 31 points on 10-of-13 shooting, 5-of-6 from three. He was made for Summer League.
• Otto Porter was held out of the Wizards practice and scrimmage against the Raptors with a tight hamstring. Nothing serious, but the Wizards are not taking any precautions.
Cassell said he is going to continue to experiment with Porter in the rotation in Summer League, because they are trying to see what kind of player they really have.
“(Tuesday) I might play him at the point some,” Cassell said, and nobody is sure if he is joking or not. “I’m telling you we just want to see, we want to see what he can do, see what he brings to our ball club. I tried him at the four a little bit the other day, I might play him at the four (Tuesday). We got to see what he can do and what he can’t do.”
• It was nice to see Robbie Hummel’s play well — 16 points on 6-for-8 shooting. The Timberwolves have his rights and he’s playing for them in Vegas (he was in Europe last season). He has bounced back from three major knee surgeries and looks like he could be a rotation player. He plays hard, knocks down looks and stays within himself.
• One guy turning a few heads is Wizards point guard Marquez Haynes, who played in Germany last year. He’s played well and a few teams are interested in at least inviting him to training camp.
• The Lakers look like a D’Antoni team even in Summer League — Robert Sacre in the paint and four shooters to space the floor around him. By the way, Sacre is the only guy on this Lakers SL team that will be on the team this fall (they picked up his option for next season).
• Gorgui Deng could lead the league in per minute foul rate next season. He’s a foul sponge.
• Here is Wizards Summer League coach Sam Cassell talking about Jan Vesely through a couple games (and some practices):
“Vesely can play the four or the five. I think he’s been solid but I’m expecting more…. His offense is getting a little bit better, but unfortunately you’ve got to play both ends of the court. He’s got to make the adjustments. He ain’t playing bad, but being his third year he’s got to play better. I’m expecting a little bit more.”
• Also for the Suns, both Morris twins got a technical in the same game Monday. Their mother must be proud.
• Timberwolves Summer Leaguer Luke Sikma is a dead ringer for his father.
Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT
Lin’s alter ego: Wayne
Sep 1, 2015, 11:07 PM EDT
Griffin will give Pistons 19 players, 17 with guaranteed salaries
Sep 1, 2015, 10:07 PM EDT
LeBron indicates 1999-00 Trail Blazers were great, implies something about his own career
Sep 1, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
Goran Dragic, Dwyane Wade, Luol Deng, Chris Bosh and Hassan Whiteside look pretty good on paper
Sep 1, 2015, 8:01 PM EDT
Russians don’t even have Alexey Shved
Sep 1, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Luis Scola leads Argentina to victory over Canada
Sep 1, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
He’s a 6’7″ combo guard with a lot of potential
Sep 1, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Well, that’s one.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
It’s not just baseball and boxing anymore.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
Miami is a long shot to land him, but you can bet Pat Riley will have them positioned for a run.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:19 PM EDT
Lots of pump fakes. Lots and lots of pump fakes.
Sep 1, 2015, 1:28 PM EDT
It’s an old Moses Malone trick.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
He’s healthy, that’s a start.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
Williams signed a two-year deal with the Mavs in July.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Whittington played for the Heat at Summer League.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Mutombo played four and a half years in Atlanta.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Stojakovic had been rumored for several weeks to be joining the Kings.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
His third time in seven years changing agents.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Wade would make Patches O’Houlihan proud.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
If I were a betting man, I’d expect there’s a better than 50/50 chance a Zeller deal gets done.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32