Jul 16, 2013, 5:31 PM EDT
You can go home again.
We’ll see how that works out but Metta World Peace — Queensbridge and St. Johns — is now officially home next season to play for the New York Knicks next season.
World Peace was amnestied by the Lakers as a cost-cutting move so he signed a $1.6 million deal with the Knicks — the Lakers still will pay him the remainder of his $7.7 million contract this season (the Lakers will save about $14 million in luxury tax payments).
The Knicks get a better wing defender at the three — with a healthy Iman Shumpert and Tyson Chandler in the paint they should be better at that end. The Knicks also get some toughness that will play well in Madison Square Garden.
It’s a good pickup. It doesn’t put them over the top of anything, they may still be the fifth best team in the East, but this is a good get.
And it’s wrapped up and done.
- PBT Extra: Are Pacers or Spurs in any trouble in first round? 3
- All PBT’s first round playoff previews in one place 0
- Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 24
- Craig Sager has acute leukemia 28
- NBA Playoff Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs. San Antonio Spurs 6