Jul 16, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
You can go home again.
We’ll see how that works out but Metta World Peace — Queensbridge and St. Johns — is now officially home next season to play for the New York Knicks next season.
World Peace was amnestied by the Lakers as a cost-cutting move so he signed a $1.6 million deal with the Knicks — the Lakers still will pay him the remainder of his $7.7 million contract this season (the Lakers will save about $14 million in luxury tax payments).
The Knicks get a better wing defender at the three — with a healthy Iman Shumpert and Tyson Chandler in the paint they should be better at that end. The Knicks also get some toughness that will play well in Madison Square Garden.
It’s a good pickup. It doesn’t put them over the top of anything, they may still be the fifth best team in the East, but this is a good get.
And it’s wrapped up and done.
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 2
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 20
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 16
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 28
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 42