Jul 16, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
Brandon Knight has started at point guard the last two seasons for the Pistons, though he hasn’t played particularly well. Rodney Stuckey started at the position the two years prior, again struggling as a playmaker, which is why Knight replaced him. Before that, Chauncey Billups manned the position for seven seasons, doing an exceptional job, but that run ended back when Billups was 32.
All in all, the Pistons have the last 11 years’ worth of their starting point guards on the roster now.
Ryan Slocum of ABC 12:
There is a whole range of ways to take that.
Joe Dumars could have told Billups outright he’d start at point guard when Billups signed with Detroit.
Dumars could have told Billups, a smart player who can undoubtedly see what’s happened to the position since he was traded to the Nuggets, he’d have a good chance to start at point guard. Billups also could have inferred that on his own.
Billups could just be taking a competitive approach, regardless of the odds. Knight probably expects to start at point guard, too.
Of course, how they get there matters much less than how each player will react to his eventual role. At least in part, the Pistons signed the 36-year-old Billups to mentor the 21-year-old Knight. A feud between those two would be disastrously counterproductive.
However, I’d call that extremely unlikely. Knight and Billups have acted like true pros while in the league, and a little competition should bring out the best in each. Besides, my too-early prediction: Knight and Billups start together in Detroit’s backcourt on opening day.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49