Jul 16, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
Brandon Knight has started at point guard the last two seasons for the Pistons, though he hasn’t played particularly well. Rodney Stuckey started at the position the two years prior, again struggling as a playmaker, which is why Knight replaced him. Before that, Chauncey Billups manned the position for seven seasons, doing an exceptional job, but that run ended back when Billups was 32.
All in all, the Pistons have the last 11 years’ worth of their starting point guards on the roster now.
Ryan Slocum of ABC 12:
There is a whole range of ways to take that.
Joe Dumars could have told Billups outright he’d start at point guard when Billups signed with Detroit.
Dumars could have told Billups, a smart player who can undoubtedly see what’s happened to the position since he was traded to the Nuggets, he’d have a good chance to start at point guard. Billups also could have inferred that on his own.
Billups could just be taking a competitive approach, regardless of the odds. Knight probably expects to start at point guard, too.
Of course, how they get there matters much less than how each player will react to his eventual role. At least in part, the Pistons signed the 36-year-old Billups to mentor the 21-year-old Knight. A feud between those two would be disastrously counterproductive.
However, I’d call that extremely unlikely. Knight and Billups have acted like true pros while in the league, and a little competition should bring out the best in each. Besides, my too-early prediction: Knight and Billups start together in Detroit’s backcourt on opening day.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 31
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 52
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 17
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31