Jul 15, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Free agency has been open for more than two weeks now and most of the big names are gone, not just Dwight Howard but also guys like Andrew Bynum, Mike Dunleavy, Al Jefferson, Andrei Kirilenko, Quentin Richardson, Nick young and more.
But there are a few name guys left on the market. Guys with flaws but guys who can help the right team.
Here’s a quick list of the big names.
• Brandon Jennings (restricted): The Bucks let the market set the price for Jennings — and with virtually every team now locked in at the starting point spot he doesn’t have the leverage to get the $12 million a year he thought he deserved. Jennings is a quick point guard who looks good in transition, a guy who can penetrate, but who shot a low percentage (40 percent last year), a guy who struggles to finish in the paint, and is a disinterested defender. Bottom line is he can put up points but teams are hesitant about his overall impact. The Bucks went hard and missed out on Jeff Teague, but that didn’t help the Bucks relationship with Jennings. The most likely outcome is a sign-and-trade, but other teams may have lowball offers and not want to send the Bucks much in return. It is possible he returns to the Bucks for another season.
• Metta World Peace: He was amnestied by the Lakers and while he’s not the defender or isolation scorer he was a few years ago he can still he certainly help a good team. He cleared waivers and is considered likely to sign with the Knicks (the front runners) or Clippers. Remember he can sign for the minimum for one year because the Lakers are still paying him.
• Kenyon Martin: He pushed his way into the starting lineup for a stretched, scored 7.2 points and 5.3 rebounds a game, then went on to play key minutes in the playoffs with a PER of 16.2. The Knicks are interested but there are more than a few teams out there that could use his inside presence.
• Lamar Odom: The former Sixth Man of the Year has been a mess the last two seasons — he averaged 4 points a game and shot 39.9 percent shooting last year. His PER the last couple seasons was 9.2 and 10.9. The Lakers and Clippers are reportedly interested but he’s only going to get one-year offers at the minimum.
• Nikola Pekovic (restricted): The Timberwolves want to keep him and the two sides are still negotiating (there were reports that the number was four years, $50 million, but the team pretty much laughed at that immediately). They need him to balance out Love and will reach a deal, but other teams are lurking.
• Gerald Henderson (restricted): His negotiations with the Bobcats were at an impasse, so both sides were looking at sign-and-trade options. Henderson would be a solid addition for a team; he scored 15.2 points a game for the Bobcats last year and had an above average PER of 16.2.
• Nate Robinson: He can light up the scoreboard off the bench… or shoot you right out of the game. Fans love his fearless style, coaches hate his defense. The Nuggets and Knicks are reportedly the front-runners.
Other names of note still available: Mo Williams, Gary Neal (restricted, but the Spurs most likely would not match an offer), Elton Brand, Antawn Jamison, Samuel Dalembert, Devin Harris, Daniel Gibson, and Richard Hamilton.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
The Serbian national team is expected to protest it.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
He will battle Kyle O’Quinn to backup Robin Lopez.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Lawson and Brewer put up impressive offensive numbers together in Denver.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
I’m no fashion critic, but they’re not bad.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT
Somehow I bet he still cashes his paychecks rather than actually playing for free.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:34 AM EDT
Even if he could sign an extension, he wouldn’t.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
The Morris twins have denied any involvement, or even knowing the victim.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:05 AM EDT
Thinking long-term is the smart approach, the only one the Mavericks should consider
Aug 3, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant is Beatles during the British Invasion level popular in China.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
Brooklyn could have easily kept Clark through training camp
Aug 3, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
Pacers star maintains status as lock for 2016 Olympic roster – if he wants to play
Aug 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EDT
Trayce Thompson gives Thompson family yet another professional athlete
Aug 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
That’ll keep him a viable candidate for 2016 Olympic roster
Aug 3, 2015, 6:33 PM EDT
…with one exception
Aug 3, 2015, 5:36 PM EDT
Dallas loading up on players. What will roster look like in November?
Aug 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
Will new Sacramento assistant coach improve Cousins’ relationship with George Karl?
Aug 3, 2015, 3:04 PM EDT
Does Melo fit in New York?
Aug 3, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
NBA teams played 70 four-in-fives last season
Aug 3, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
“I didn’t miss it. I realized how much time I missed not being home with my kids.” —Ray Allen on last season
Aug 3, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Nike may well match.
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 1
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 9
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17