Jul 15, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Free agency has been open for more than two weeks now and most of the big names are gone, not just Dwight Howard but also guys like Andrew Bynum, Mike Dunleavy, Al Jefferson, Andrei Kirilenko, Quentin Richardson, Nick young and more.
But there are a few name guys left on the market. Guys with flaws but guys who can help the right team.
Here’s a quick list of the big names.
• Brandon Jennings (restricted): The Bucks let the market set the price for Jennings — and with virtually every team now locked in at the starting point spot he doesn’t have the leverage to get the $12 million a year he thought he deserved. Jennings is a quick point guard who looks good in transition, a guy who can penetrate, but who shot a low percentage (40 percent last year), a guy who struggles to finish in the paint, and is a disinterested defender. Bottom line is he can put up points but teams are hesitant about his overall impact. The Bucks went hard and missed out on Jeff Teague, but that didn’t help the Bucks relationship with Jennings. The most likely outcome is a sign-and-trade, but other teams may have lowball offers and not want to send the Bucks much in return. It is possible he returns to the Bucks for another season.
• Metta World Peace: He was amnestied by the Lakers and while he’s not the defender or isolation scorer he was a few years ago he can still he certainly help a good team. He cleared waivers and is considered likely to sign with the Knicks (the front runners) or Clippers. Remember he can sign for the minimum for one year because the Lakers are still paying him.
• Kenyon Martin: He pushed his way into the starting lineup for a stretched, scored 7.2 points and 5.3 rebounds a game, then went on to play key minutes in the playoffs with a PER of 16.2. The Knicks are interested but there are more than a few teams out there that could use his inside presence.
• Lamar Odom: The former Sixth Man of the Year has been a mess the last two seasons — he averaged 4 points a game and shot 39.9 percent shooting last year. His PER the last couple seasons was 9.2 and 10.9. The Lakers and Clippers are reportedly interested but he’s only going to get one-year offers at the minimum.
• Nikola Pekovic (restricted): The Timberwolves want to keep him and the two sides are still negotiating (there were reports that the number was four years, $50 million, but the team pretty much laughed at that immediately). They need him to balance out Love and will reach a deal, but other teams are lurking.
• Gerald Henderson (restricted): His negotiations with the Bobcats were at an impasse, so both sides were looking at sign-and-trade options. Henderson would be a solid addition for a team; he scored 15.2 points a game for the Bobcats last year and had an above average PER of 16.2.
• Nate Robinson: He can light up the scoreboard off the bench… or shoot you right out of the game. Fans love his fearless style, coaches hate his defense. The Nuggets and Knicks are reportedly the front-runners.
Other names of note still available: Mo Williams, Gary Neal (restricted, but the Spurs most likely would not match an offer), Elton Brand, Antawn Jamison, Samuel Dalembert, Devin Harris, Daniel Gibson, and Richard Hamilton.
Aug 23, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
It’s an accurate description.
Aug 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
It was a good night to be Stephen Curry.
Aug 23, 2014, 1:20 AM EDT
Team USA kept four centers on the roster. That’s a bit of a surprise.
Aug 23, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
The players who got DNP-CDs in this one may be the ones who stay home.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
Playing time decisions will be interesting with four legitimate options competing for minutes.
Aug 22, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Timberwolves will stick with Andrew Wiggins
Aug 22, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Monty Williams gives Drummond some excellent instruction.
Aug 22, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
DeMar DeRozan, Andre Drummond, Gordon Hayward, Chandler Parsons, Kyle Korver all possibilities for chopping block
Aug 22, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
A fine choice, even if he isn’t the best current NBA player from Spain.
Aug 22, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT
Hairston’s guarantee will total $2 million over two seasons.
Aug 22, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
Curry, seen on video discussing it, still seems upset by the situation.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT
If true, Thompson needs a much thicker skin.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Watching Smith and his gunner, ball-stopping tendencies try to fit in the move-the-ball, read and react triangle offense is going to be interesting. To put it kindly.
Aug 22, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
His critics don’t get it, but Jeremy Lin is a solid NBA guard now.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Krzyzewski – surprise, surprise – also reportedly likes Mason Plumlee, who played at Duke
Bulls’ Doug McDermott’s can’t sing, tries to lead Cubs’ fans in “Take Me Out To The Ballgame” anyway
Aug 22, 2014, 11:08 AM EDT
Doug McDermott can’t sing. We know that now.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
The Greek freak is going to be so much fun to watch at the world Cup.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
The hopes of the Finnish nation are crushed…. if they even noticed.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Stiviano claims Sterling paid her to act as his beard
Aug 22, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Energy is a skill.
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 0
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 16
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18