Jul 15, 2013, 1:01 AM EDT
Our notebooks are full from another day watching hoop in Vegas are a few notes from Day 3 of the NBA Summer League:
• In case you missed it, we’ve written about a couple of big men who are looking good in Las Vegas — Jonas Valanciunas of the Raptors and Cody Zeller for the Bobcats.
• Speaking of bigs, for the second game in a row Jan Vesely showed an improved offensive game for the Wizards — a tip in-alley-oop, a couple putbacks, a pretty little step-back jumper along the baseline he has hit a couple days in a row now. But for the second straight day his defense and rebounding left a lot to be desired — the Wizards got pushed around in the paint a lot and Vesely lost his man in transition.
“To me, he got a little physicality used on him today…” Wizards Summer League coach Don Newman said after the game. “You got a guy (Knicks’ Jeremy Tyler) that’s rough in the paint, the whole game they beat us right down in the paint. If they missed it they went and got it. And that can’t happen, you got to hold your own down there and that’s what (Vesely) has to do defensively.”
• Otto Porter had his second rough shooting game in a row, 4-of-13. He’s a smart player with a great IQ but who admitted after the game that learning to play the pick-and-roll heavy NBA game is a major adjustment. After the game the Wizards coaching staff said they would like to see him drive more.
• Cleveland’s Dion Waiters put up 23 points on Memphis, but it was on 7-of-17 shooting. He was attacking, getting buckets at the rim and getting to the line for a dozen free throw attempts. That’s the good side. He was 1-4 from three and 4-11 from outside the paint in general.
• John Henson was out for the Bucks with a groin strain. Nothing serious but teams are very cautious at Summer League with injuries. As they should be.
• Tony Wroten had a nice offensive game as he tries to make a case he should get minutes behind Mike Conley in Memphis next season. His game has matured a lot from his first Summer League, but I’m not sure he plays enough defense. Looking good in Vegas and looking good running the Grizzlies offense are two different things.
• According to friend of the site D.J. Foster, Clippers draft pick Reggie Bullock looked like a player, working well off the ball. Not many minutes available on the Clippers next season, that is one deep team, but it’s also a place a young player could learn a lot.
• Dallas’ point guard Gal Mekel — who the team just signed a week ago — is just solid. He plays within himself, he never looks hurried, he makes smart decisions on when and where to move the ball, and if he gets in the lane he’s got a nice little floater. He also has shown a little drive and dish-back that is an almost behind the back pass. He is not athletic enough to be a star in this league but he should be a solid 15-20 minute a night backup. This is a good signing by Dallas.
• Golden State’s first-round pick Nemanja Nedovic sprained his ankle and sat out Saturday’s Summer League game for the team, then Sunday he was bound for Serbia to play with their national team this summer. He did practice with the team before his injury.
• Yesterday we told you Portland’s Victor Claver was injured after taking a knee to his thigh, Sunday he said he is day-to-day. He’s feeling a lot better, hot time for a return to the court set.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Andre Iguodala put up an impressive highlight as the Warriors routed the Mavericks.
Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to be team president. Or not. Depends on who you ask.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Nothing is final until the ink dries on the contract, but Jackson to the Knicks as team president seems done. It will end poorly but should be an interesting ride.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:22 AM EDT
One really good team won’t make it at all, and at least two excellent teams won’t even make the second round.
Mar 12, 2014, 2:33 AM EDT
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while thinking I never had teachers like that… San Antonio Spurs offense. The Bulls defense has forced everyone they have faced lately into an ugly, grappling fight on the ground that favors Chicago. Even Miami fell victim to it. San Antonio rose above it with…
Mar 12, 2014, 12:32 AM EDT
To be fair Omer Asik was wide open, he just was on the bench at the time when Dwight Howard hit him with a pass.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Kevin Durant led the Thunder to victory with his 42 points, but not before there were plenty of fireworks between the two teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant’s recovery has been slower than expected, and the Lakers are reportedly ready to officially shut him down for the season.
Patrick Beverley goes at Russell Westbrook just as he did on the play that caused injury in 2013 playoffs (VIDEO)
Mar 11, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Patrick Beverley gives Russell Westbrook a not-so-subtle reminder of the play that caused Westbrook’s season-ending knee injury in the 2013 playoffs.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
George Karl says that Carmelo Anthony, whom he coached in Denver, isn’t a Phil Jackson type of player. Which means?
Mar 11, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
You knew this was coming right after the incident Monday night — the Suns Tucker got a game for a forearm to Griffin’s head. As he should have.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
It’s been clear for a while that Kobe Bryant was done for the season. The Lakers would not say that publicly for the same reason the Bulls would not say Derrick Rose would not come back last playoffs when we all knew he wouldn’t. They don’t want to anger their star player, and if fans…
Mar 11, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
If Andrea Bargnani is out the rest of the season, Knicks fans will be good with that.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Why to the Boston Celtics need a St. Patrick’s Day uniform? Good question. But they have one now, with sleeves.
Mar 11, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
The last time LeBron went back-to-back games without a trip to the free throw line he was a rookie.
Mar 11, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
To be fair to the ball boy, nobody expects Tyler Hansbrough to make a steal on the perimeter then race out on the fast break by himself.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Don’t use cotton swabs, kids.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
With backup center Ian Mahinmi out for the night, the Andrew Bynum era in Indiana will begin Tuesday against Boston.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Conflicts with yesterday’s prominent report
Mar 11, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
All the way to playoffs?
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to be team president. Or not. Depends on who you ask. 7
- Extra Pass: Western Conference playoff field ought to be really good, but just how good? 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: San Antonio with another impressive statement 0
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 7
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 19