Jul 15, 2013, 5:49 PM EST
The four-year, $28 million contract Tayshaun Prince signed with the Pistons in 2011 didn’t necessarily make him overpaid, but it was definitely too long.
Prince will make $7,235,955 and $7,707,865 the next two seasons, seasons that will end with him 34 and 35 years old. He played fairly well for an improved Grizzlies team, but there was a reason the Pistons traded him for Jose Calderon’s expiring contract. Though Detroit wanted to use Calderon to make a playoff run and then re-sign him, simply dumping Prince in the three-team Rudy Gay trade was worthwhile on its own.
Before adding Corey Brewer for the mid-level exception, the Wolves had an opportunity to acquire Memphis forward Tayshaun Prince for minimal in return.
Absorbing Prince into its cap space for something like a second-round pick would have made the Timberwolves better next season, but the 27-year-old Brewer offers more upside for Minnesota.
At his age and salary, Prince doesn’t have much trade value. But the Grizzlies are a winning team, and on the court, losing Prince would likely hurt them. Is Quincy Pondexter really ready to fill a much larger role? When the difference could be winning a playoff series or not, now isn’t the time for Memphis to take that chance.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 0
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 2
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 9
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 10
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)