Jul 15, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
If the Jazz are Riggin’ for Wiggins – and by letting two of their top players (Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson) leave in free agency and trading for hefty contracts (Richard Jefferson, Andris Biedrins and, to a lesser degree, Brandon Rush) just to get draft picks, it sure seems like they are – they’ll still need to fill out their roster.
Oh, hey, John Lucas.
Marc Stein of ESPN:
Hearing: Free-agent PG John Lucas informed other suitors today that he has committed to Utah. Deal w/Jazz on course to be sealed this week—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 15, 2013
Lucas, a 5-foot-11 point guard who averaged 5.3 points and 1.7 assists per game for the Raptors last season, won’t win the Jazz any games and therefore won’t hurt their lottery odds. So, great signing right off the bat.
Developing Trey Burke is still Utah’s top priority at point guard, but the growth of Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter is also important. Lucas, a capable NBA point guard, will allow Favors and Kanter minutes in a viable offense while Burke is on the bench. Without a player like Lucas, the Jazz’s offense could have turned haphazard while Burke rests, those minutes turning worthless in terms of Favors’ and Kanter’s development.
Tanking is about losing a lot of games, but the teams that tank best also develop their young players in the process. Lucas should help Utah do the latter without preventing the former.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City canceled 5
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)