Jul 15, 2013, 2:11 PM EDT
The Atlanta Hawks needed a solid center who would allow Al Horford to play his more natural four spot.
For a year they may have found that guy in Elton Brand — the veteran big has agreed to a one-year deal with Atlanta, his agent David Falk told Hoopshype.
“We think it’s a great opportunity for him,” Falk said. “I can see him playing 4-5 more years because Elton is serious about his conditioning and, besides, he plays more with his head than his body at this point. Atlanta is a good fit and Elton will be a good veteran presence there.”
Brand is a 14-year NBA veteran who spent last season in Dallas on a one-year contract.
He was solid last season — his numbers of 7.2 points and 6 rebounds a game were down because his minutes were down (8 a game from his last season in Philly, 13 minutes a game from two years ago). But he shot a solid 47.3 percent, was a big defensive body in the paint and grabbed 15.7 percent of the rebounds when he was on the court.
He doesn’t have to do much but be a solid presence in the paint for Atlanta, Horford will carry the scoring load up front. The Hawks also have Paul Millsap in their front line mix. That is a stout front line for the Hawks. With Jeff Teague back and Kyle Korver spacing the floor, the Hawks should be a pretty good team next season, a team in the playoff mix in the East (like a 6-7 seed).
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 11
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 38
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 22
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 100
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27