Jul 15, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
Smart money says Greg Oden signs with either the San Antonio Spurs or the Miami Heat.
Free-agent center Greg Oden will be in Las Vegas this week for face-to-face meetings with officials from the Dallas Mavericks, Sacramento Kings and New Orleans Pelicans, according to sources with knowledge of Oden’s plans.
The question for Oden is what size and length of contract he can get, after all he has had three microfracture surgeries and hasn’t played in the league since 2009. For example, the Heat can only give him the league minimum, and they would be hesitant to give a guy with Oden’s history of knee issues multiple years. They will try to make up for that by offering a defined role and a chance to win a ring.
However, the Kings, Pelicans and Mavericks can all give a little money if they choose.
The Cavaliers had been considered front-runners but filled their “big man with risky knees” roster spot when they reached a deal with Andrew Bynum.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 29
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 31
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18