Jul 15, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
Smart money says Greg Oden signs with either the San Antonio Spurs or the Miami Heat.
Free-agent center Greg Oden will be in Las Vegas this week for face-to-face meetings with officials from the Dallas Mavericks, Sacramento Kings and New Orleans Pelicans, according to sources with knowledge of Oden’s plans.
The question for Oden is what size and length of contract he can get, after all he has had three microfracture surgeries and hasn’t played in the league since 2009. For example, the Heat can only give him the league minimum, and they would be hesitant to give a guy with Oden’s history of knee issues multiple years. They will try to make up for that by offering a defined role and a chance to win a ring.
However, the Kings, Pelicans and Mavericks can all give a little money if they choose.
The Cavaliers had been considered front-runners but filled their “big man with risky knees” roster spot when they reached a deal with Andrew Bynum.
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 0
- Monday NBA grades: Blake Griffin shows off his jumper (and yes, he can still dunk) 0
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker ejected after elbow thrown to Blake Griffin’s head (VIDEO) 8
- Report: Phil Jackson’s camp doesn’t believe agreement with Knicks is close 10
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 13