Jul 15, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
Smart money says Greg Oden signs with either the San Antonio Spurs or the Miami Heat.
Free-agent center Greg Oden will be in Las Vegas this week for face-to-face meetings with officials from the Dallas Mavericks, Sacramento Kings and New Orleans Pelicans, according to sources with knowledge of Oden’s plans.
The question for Oden is what size and length of contract he can get, after all he has had three microfracture surgeries and hasn’t played in the league since 2009. For example, the Heat can only give him the league minimum, and they would be hesitant to give a guy with Oden’s history of knee issues multiple years. They will try to make up for that by offering a defined role and a chance to win a ring.
However, the Kings, Pelicans and Mavericks can all give a little money if they choose.
The Cavaliers had been considered front-runners but filled their “big man with risky knees” roster spot when they reached a deal with Andrew Bynum.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 17
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2