Jul 15, 2013, 11:21 AM EST
Smart money says Greg Oden signs with either the San Antonio Spurs or the Miami Heat.
Free-agent center Greg Oden will be in Las Vegas this week for face-to-face meetings with officials from the Dallas Mavericks, Sacramento Kings and New Orleans Pelicans, according to sources with knowledge of Oden’s plans.
The question for Oden is what size and length of contract he can get, after all he has had three microfracture surgeries and hasn’t played in the league since 2009. For example, the Heat can only give him the league minimum, and they would be hesitant to give a guy with Oden’s history of knee issues multiple years. They will try to make up for that by offering a defined role and a chance to win a ring.
However, the Kings, Pelicans and Mavericks can all give a little money if they choose.
The Cavaliers had been considered front-runners but filled their “big man with risky knees” roster spot when they reached a deal with Andrew Bynum.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 4
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 44
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12