Jul 15, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Sometimes it’s good to be trade filler.
Keith Bogans is a “3 and D” NBA roll player who has stuck in the league for a decade, a guy who averaged just 4.2 points a game last season for the Nets, but he defended well and started 23 games for them.
He made $1.2 million for that role last season, a fair price.
But he’s about to get a huge pay raise as he moves to Boston for the coming season. Why? Not his play, it’s all about the fun of the NBA salary cap and making trades, which Mark Deeks of the fantastic site ShamSports breaks down for us.
The rebuilding Boston Celtics insisted upon Jason Terry (and, primarily, his salary) being included in the Paul Pierce/Kevin Garnett trade with the Nets. Brooklyn could afford it and were prepared to pay it, but, in light of all their recent roster turnover, they didn’t have the necessarily medium-size expiring contracts that are so useful in trade scenarios that would have facilitated it. In order to provide the necessary salary to match, then, they had to sign and trade someone.
Into the breach steps Bogans, who will now earn $5,058,198 in 2013-14.
That salary is fully guaranteed for the first year. T
This is a three-year deal where the Celtics can get out of the next two without penalty. You can assume they want to, but the Celtics will be making a lot of other trades this year and guys making that mid-level kind of salary are valuable trade chips. Which means he could get moved and that salary picked up for another season because of its value as a trade value.
And for that, you get a few threes and some solid defense.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 38
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18