Jul 14, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
LAS VEGAS – Tim Hardaway Jr. got off to a strong start in the third day of Summer League, scoring nine points in 10 first quarter minuts and getting loose on a drive down the middle of the lane for a flying one-handed slam dunk.
Unfortunately, Hardaway suffered an injury to his left wrist that put an end to his afternoon earlier than expected. He got tangled up on a transition play, and hit the deck fairly hard just past mid-court.
“I tripped,” Hardaway said afterward, when asked how it happened. “That’s the only play that happened. It was on a fast break, and I fell backwards. I tripped and tried to brace my landing, and it didn’t go that well for me. But I’ll be fine. I’m good now, I’m just icing it, letting it rest, and I hope that I’m ready to go tomorrow.”
Hardaway had X-rays taken which came back negative, and the injury is considered to be no more serious than a bruise or a sprain.
“I feel fine,” Hardaway said. “I’m just happy to be in this situation right now. I was really anxious to play and really wanted to get back out there, but for precautionary reasons [they held me out].
“I felt more confident today,” he said. I was just upset a little bit because I had to come out and couldn’t play the rest of the game. But that’s just my competitive nature, and I’m glad my team got the win.”
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 1
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 25
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 18
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19