Jul 14, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
LAS VEGAS — Saturday saw some rough rookie debuts but also some strong performances. Here are a few notes and highlights from Day 2 of Summer League in Vegas.
• Ben McLemore had a rough shooting Summer League debut at 4-of-23, but as noted in PBT’s story it wasn’t as bad as it looked.
• Golden State’s Draymond Green showed why he went from second round pick to playoff rotation guy, he looked aggressive — 15 points on just 1-of-9 shooting but he earned 14 free throw attempts. He was just going to the rim every chance he got.
Green also was showing off a more svelte form — the first thing you notice about him now is how he changed his body and lost weight.
“One of the main things I did was change up my diet, just making sure I eat healthier,” Green said after the game. “I’m also doing a lot of extra cardio, doing a lot more lifting, and really just staying in the gym working out.”
Green had energy from that new look and he was attacking.
“This is an opportunity to showcase your talent,” Green said. “Showcase what it is you bring to a team. It’s not time to do the ‘I played on the Warriors for a year I’m going to come out and chill.’ It’s an opportunity for me, there is no Steph (Curry) on the court, there’s no Klay (Thompson) on the court, there’s no Harrison (Barnes), no David (Lee). It’s an opportunity for guys to come out and show what they can do.”
Green did show it, and he got noticed.
“I like the way he is passing up some shots, putting the ball on the floor and drawing contact,” Warriors head coach Mark Jackson said. “That put him in position to make some free throws for us down the stretch of the ballgame. Draymond has been consistent. Obviously he has worked on his body a lot.
• This was first look at Otto Porter in person and despite a rough night the word that came to mind is smooth. He was patient, generally made good choices most of the time and had took quality shots — they just would not go in. He was 3-of-13 from the floor and missed some bunnies, although he had a pretty step back in the first quarter. Also there were turnovers and looking a little lost on a Wizards team that looked discombobulated (even by Summer League standards). But there is a lot to like and I can see him at the three with John Wall and Bradley Beal in the starting backcourt. Eventually.
• One of the players that looked the best today was Evan Fournier of Denver, showing why George Karl should have played him more earlier last year. His shot was falling, but more importantly his decision making and passing on the pick-and-roll was beautiful.
• Portland’s Victor Claver took a knee to his thigh, played only five minutes on Saturday and is questionable for Sunday.
• Jan Vesley looked solid for the Wizards — he was strong on a couple rebounds, showed a post move with a step back. He had a block at the rim that turned heads. Bottom line is he looked like a solid NBA center. Part of that is it is Summer League, but part of it is he can play better than he gets credit for.
• Former Laker Andrew Goudelock was playing for the Bulls and looked good — 9-of-15 shooting, 3-of-5 from three with 26 points and a couple assists. He showed good athleticism and a real range on his shot. Before Lakers fans get all “we should have kept him” remember his game is made for Summer League where guards can gun and defense is not expected.
• Toronto’s Jonas Valanciunas looked like a man among boys against the Heat, who tend to go small even in the Summer League. Valanciunas has filled out his frame some and used that size to grab offensive boards, throw down dunks and generally own the paint. He dunked everything.
• Jae Crowder of Dallas just is a Summer League beast, he outworks everyone and has a soft touch around the rim.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Sessions could start at point guard for Sacramento.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Unsurprisingly, Curry supports his backcourt mate 100 percent.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
He had toe surgery in mid-August.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
This is what you want out of these guys.
Tyson Chandler says negative comments questioning his impact on chemistry with Knicks were ‘the ultimate shock’
Sep 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Chandler, now with Dallas, fires back at the Knicks.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Chapman played four years for the Suns, and is facing charges in Scottsdale, AZ.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Must-read quote from Bogut on how he does NOT want to be perceived.
Sep 19, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
This post is here to make life easier for you when you want to find these at the end of the season and point out how wrong we were.
UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks
Sep 19, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
It has to be a sign and trade and Minnesota doesn’t have a lot of leverage here.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“It was more just becoming a better all-around player, trying to take the next step and become a leader on this team and will my team to win.” —Jeff Green
Sep 19, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
And you wonder why Phil Jackson is worth $12 million a year to the Knicks organization.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Budenholzer got thrust into a position with the power a lot of coaches covet.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Sep 19, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Best. Name. Ever.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Heat point guard one-ups Andre Drummond with trick shot
Sep 19, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
Will he make Cleveland’s regular-season roster?
Sep 19, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Full recap from the launch event at Nike World Headquarters in Portland, Oregon, including technical information, details on colorways, and confirmed release dates.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Elbow injury would have kept him out of camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Kyle Lowry and Co. return for another run
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 6
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 29
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35