Jul 14, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
LAS VEGAS — Saturday saw some rough rookie debuts but also some strong performances. Here are a few notes and highlights from Day 2 of Summer League in Vegas.
• Ben McLemore had a rough shooting Summer League debut at 4-of-23, but as noted in PBT’s story it wasn’t as bad as it looked.
• Golden State’s Draymond Green showed why he went from second round pick to playoff rotation guy, he looked aggressive — 15 points on just 1-of-9 shooting but he earned 14 free throw attempts. He was just going to the rim every chance he got.
Green also was showing off a more svelte form — the first thing you notice about him now is how he changed his body and lost weight.
“One of the main things I did was change up my diet, just making sure I eat healthier,” Green said after the game. “I’m also doing a lot of extra cardio, doing a lot more lifting, and really just staying in the gym working out.”
Green had energy from that new look and he was attacking.
“This is an opportunity to showcase your talent,” Green said. “Showcase what it is you bring to a team. It’s not time to do the ‘I played on the Warriors for a year I’m going to come out and chill.’ It’s an opportunity for me, there is no Steph (Curry) on the court, there’s no Klay (Thompson) on the court, there’s no Harrison (Barnes), no David (Lee). It’s an opportunity for guys to come out and show what they can do.”
Green did show it, and he got noticed.
“I like the way he is passing up some shots, putting the ball on the floor and drawing contact,” Warriors head coach Mark Jackson said. “That put him in position to make some free throws for us down the stretch of the ballgame. Draymond has been consistent. Obviously he has worked on his body a lot.
• This was first look at Otto Porter in person and despite a rough night the word that came to mind is smooth. He was patient, generally made good choices most of the time and had took quality shots — they just would not go in. He was 3-of-13 from the floor and missed some bunnies, although he had a pretty step back in the first quarter. Also there were turnovers and looking a little lost on a Wizards team that looked discombobulated (even by Summer League standards). But there is a lot to like and I can see him at the three with John Wall and Bradley Beal in the starting backcourt. Eventually.
• One of the players that looked the best today was Evan Fournier of Denver, showing why George Karl should have played him more earlier last year. His shot was falling, but more importantly his decision making and passing on the pick-and-roll was beautiful.
• Portland’s Victor Claver took a knee to his thigh, played only five minutes on Saturday and is questionable for Sunday.
• Jan Vesley looked solid for the Wizards — he was strong on a couple rebounds, showed a post move with a step back. He had a block at the rim that turned heads. Bottom line is he looked like a solid NBA center. Part of that is it is Summer League, but part of it is he can play better than he gets credit for.
• Former Laker Andrew Goudelock was playing for the Bulls and looked good — 9-of-15 shooting, 3-of-5 from three with 26 points and a couple assists. He showed good athleticism and a real range on his shot. Before Lakers fans get all “we should have kept him” remember his game is made for Summer League where guards can gun and defense is not expected.
• Toronto’s Jonas Valanciunas looked like a man among boys against the Heat, who tend to go small even in the Summer League. Valanciunas has filled out his frame some and used that size to grab offensive boards, throw down dunks and generally own the paint. He dunked everything.
• Jae Crowder of Dallas just is a Summer League beast, he outworks everyone and has a soft touch around the rim.
Dec 23, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Spurs guard sets up Danny Green 3-pointer
Dec 22, 2014, 11:15 PM EST
Rudy Gobert learned the hard way
Dec 22, 2014, 10:25 PM EST
It WAS a nice dunk… at least until that camera man got in the way
Dec 22, 2014, 9:35 PM EST
LeBron’s son has pretty impressive highlight mix
Dec 22, 2014, 8:44 PM EST
Beckham previously had dinner with LeBron James
Dec 22, 2014, 7:54 PM EST
Thunder point guard both dismissive and introspective after loss to Pelicans
Dec 22, 2014, 6:59 PM EST
Love will be booed more vehemently on Tuesday than LeBron will on Thursday.
Dec 22, 2014, 6:17 PM EST
Well, it would be better than more Jar Jar Binks.
Nick Young’s plan to ease Kobe’s burden: Give Young the ball because he’s best three point shooter in league
Dec 22, 2014, 5:45 PM EST
Young does not lack for confidence.
Dec 22, 2014, 4:35 PM EST
The Rockets are the frontrunners to land him.
Dec 22, 2014, 3:51 PM EST
Trail Blazers move up to second.
Dec 22, 2014, 3:05 PM EST
Boston might try to re-trade point guard acquired in Rajon Rondo deal
K.J. McDaniels’ mom yells at his teammates for dunking rather than passing, shooting free throws too slowly
Dec 22, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
Ms. McDaniels brings some fun to the 76ers-Magic game
Dec 22, 2014, 1:38 PM EST
Each reported suitor has an in with former Pistons forward
Dec 22, 2014, 1:01 PM EST
Maybe Dalembert wanted to get ejected so he didn’t have to watch any more of the Raptors easy win over the Knicks.
Dec 22, 2014, 12:21 PM EST
Pistons use stretch provision on forward owed more than $35 million
Dec 22, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
Will LeBron receive more cheers or boos?
Dec 22, 2014, 11:22 AM EST
In a Philadelphia win!
Dec 22, 2014, 10:29 AM EST
Magic guard avoiding sophomore slump of other top 2013-14 rookies
Dec 22, 2014, 9:39 AM EST
Philadelphia will waive Turiaf, who’s injured and out for season
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 9
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 15
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 56
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20