Jul 14, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
LAS VEGAS — Saturday saw some rough rookie debuts but also some strong performances. Here are a few notes and highlights from Day 2 of Summer League in Vegas.
• Ben McLemore had a rough shooting Summer League debut at 4-of-23, but as noted in PBT’s story it wasn’t as bad as it looked.
• Golden State’s Draymond Green showed why he went from second round pick to playoff rotation guy, he looked aggressive — 15 points on just 1-of-9 shooting but he earned 14 free throw attempts. He was just going to the rim every chance he got.
Green also was showing off a more svelte form — the first thing you notice about him now is how he changed his body and lost weight.
“One of the main things I did was change up my diet, just making sure I eat healthier,” Green said after the game. “I’m also doing a lot of extra cardio, doing a lot more lifting, and really just staying in the gym working out.”
Green had energy from that new look and he was attacking.
“This is an opportunity to showcase your talent,” Green said. “Showcase what it is you bring to a team. It’s not time to do the ‘I played on the Warriors for a year I’m going to come out and chill.’ It’s an opportunity for me, there is no Steph (Curry) on the court, there’s no Klay (Thompson) on the court, there’s no Harrison (Barnes), no David (Lee). It’s an opportunity for guys to come out and show what they can do.”
Green did show it, and he got noticed.
“I like the way he is passing up some shots, putting the ball on the floor and drawing contact,” Warriors head coach Mark Jackson said. “That put him in position to make some free throws for us down the stretch of the ballgame. Draymond has been consistent. Obviously he has worked on his body a lot.
• This was first look at Otto Porter in person and despite a rough night the word that came to mind is smooth. He was patient, generally made good choices most of the time and had took quality shots — they just would not go in. He was 3-of-13 from the floor and missed some bunnies, although he had a pretty step back in the first quarter. Also there were turnovers and looking a little lost on a Wizards team that looked discombobulated (even by Summer League standards). But there is a lot to like and I can see him at the three with John Wall and Bradley Beal in the starting backcourt. Eventually.
• One of the players that looked the best today was Evan Fournier of Denver, showing why George Karl should have played him more earlier last year. His shot was falling, but more importantly his decision making and passing on the pick-and-roll was beautiful.
• Portland’s Victor Claver took a knee to his thigh, played only five minutes on Saturday and is questionable for Sunday.
• Jan Vesley looked solid for the Wizards — he was strong on a couple rebounds, showed a post move with a step back. He had a block at the rim that turned heads. Bottom line is he looked like a solid NBA center. Part of that is it is Summer League, but part of it is he can play better than he gets credit for.
• Former Laker Andrew Goudelock was playing for the Bulls and looked good — 9-of-15 shooting, 3-of-5 from three with 26 points and a couple assists. He showed good athleticism and a real range on his shot. Before Lakers fans get all “we should have kept him” remember his game is made for Summer League where guards can gun and defense is not expected.
• Toronto’s Jonas Valanciunas looked like a man among boys against the Heat, who tend to go small even in the Summer League. Valanciunas has filled out his frame some and used that size to grab offensive boards, throw down dunks and generally own the paint. He dunked everything.
• Jae Crowder of Dallas just is a Summer League beast, he outworks everyone and has a soft touch around the rim.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Only six NBA players have no-trade clauses, and Parker wasn’t eligible under the circumstances.
Aug 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
New uniforms for the national team.
Aug 1, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
Damian Lillard also wanted Williams back in Portland
Aug 1, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Magic Johnson takes parting shot at Mike D’Antoni
Aug 1, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Rumor had suggested Brewer could replace Kevin Martin or J.J. Barea in deal
Aug 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Chicago added Pau Gasol, Nikola Mirotic and Doug McDermott this summer
Aug 1, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
New York had only minimum contract available
Aug 1, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
If true, Corey Brewer would be a nice get for the Cavaliers.
Aug 1, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
It’s no Heat-Cavaliers, but it’ll do
Aug 1, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Parker’s max extension: three years, $43,335,938
Aug 1, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
Aug 1, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Wade is trying to drop pounds to make life easier on his knees. We’ll see how much that helps.
Aug 1, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
That will go away in three months
Aug 1, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
“So when I say I felt disrespected, I just felt like the way I played the game of basketball wasn’t appreciated.” —Isaiah Thomas referring to Sacramento management.
Aug 1, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Why is the Pacers’ star choosing LeBron James’ team?
Report: Greg Monroe ‘doesn’t really have a great interest in going back and playing with the Pistons’
Aug 1, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
Pistons have reportedly talked sign-and-trade with Hawks, Suns and Blazers (but Portland is out)
Aug 1, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Finally, San Antonio basketball fans have a reason to be proud
Aug 1, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Kevin Durant has a couple nice ones.
Aug 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Bidding starts at $35,000. Which we all have just lying around.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:35 AM EDT
“Nothing to see here. Move along.”
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 20
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61