Jul 14, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
The Lakers are in need of a lot of things at a very low price, as the team prepares for the season after next when it will have all the cap space in the world to spend on any available free agent they can convince to come to Los Angeles.
Before then, they have to get through this upcoming season, and do so by filling out the roster with guys who are in a situation where they need some exposure in order to perhaps earn a bigger, multi-year deal from someone else the following season.
Lakers agreed to terms with SG Wesley Johnson…1-yr deal for vet’s min of $1 mill. Was 4th pick in 2010 draft, played last season for PHX.
— Mike Bresnahan (@Mike_Bresnahan) July 14, 2013
The report has been confirmed by Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles.
Johnson is a classic “three-and-D” guy, although he’s historically been at the lower end of the spectrum in both of those categories. But what he does provide is some athleticism that L.A. is sorely lacking, with a starting lineup that features an aging Steve Nash and Pau Gasol, along with a version of Kobe Bryant that will be questionable at best, at least to start the season, following surgery to repair his torn Achilles.
Johnson began his career with the Timberwolves, and averaged 8.0 points and 2.5 rebounds in 19.1minutes per game for the Suns last season. He shot a career-best 40.7 percent from the field, but connected on just 32.3 percent of his looks from three-point distance.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 11
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 5
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3