Jul 14, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
The Lakers are in need of a lot of things at a very low price, as the team prepares for the season after next when it will have all the cap space in the world to spend on any available free agent they can convince to come to Los Angeles.
Before then, they have to get through this upcoming season, and do so by filling out the roster with guys who are in a situation where they need some exposure in order to perhaps earn a bigger, multi-year deal from someone else the following season.
Lakers agreed to terms with SG Wesley Johnson…1-yr deal for vet’s min of $1 mill. Was 4th pick in 2010 draft, played last season for PHX.
— Mike Bresnahan (@Mike_Bresnahan) July 14, 2013
The report has been confirmed by Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles.
Johnson is a classic “three-and-D” guy, although he’s historically been at the lower end of the spectrum in both of those categories. But what he does provide is some athleticism that L.A. is sorely lacking, with a starting lineup that features an aging Steve Nash and Pau Gasol, along with a version of Kobe Bryant that will be questionable at best, at least to start the season, following surgery to repair his torn Achilles.
Johnson began his career with the Timberwolves, and averaged 8.0 points and 2.5 rebounds in 19.1minutes per game for the Suns last season. He shot a career-best 40.7 percent from the field, but connected on just 32.3 percent of his looks from three-point distance.
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 18
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 45
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 23