Report: Raptors to sign Dwight Buycks as No. 2 point guard

Jul 13, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT

I don’t know much about Dwight Buycks, but here’s one thing I do know about the guard who’s spent two seasons since leaving Marquette without an NBA job:

He played for the Thunder in the Orlando summer league last week, and he planned to play for the Heat in the Las Vegas summer league this week.

It’s rare for a player to participate in both summer leagues, which can be grinds as games often turn physical thanks the sloppiness of unrefined players who are often playing with new teammates. But Buycks signed up for a double dose in a bid to impress NBA teams.

Not only did it work, he won’t even have to complete the second leg.

Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:

Buycks:

Buckys, like so many other undrafted players, played in Europe in the D-League before getting his chance. He sounds like more a scorer who’s learning how to become a playmaker, but it sounds likely we’ll soon see a lot more of the NBA’s semi-unknown newbie.

1. kingsforever - Jul 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Isn’t Novak the number 2?

• dondada10 - Jul 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Steve Novak is 6′ 9″ and does one thing: shoot 3s.

• boltokmymaster - Jul 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Why…. just why…..

2. asimonetti88 - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I saw “Raptors to sign Dwight” and started chuckling

• 00maltliquor - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I did the same thing, that’s why I opened the article. If I would have just continued reading I wouldn’t be here. You never know with D12, thought he made a complete 180, pulled out last millisecond, and went North!

3. money2long - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM

i believe his last name is pronounced like “bikes” for those curious.

• dondada10 - Jul 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Oh. I was saying “Buicks.”

4. proxysays - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Better than John Lucas. Great find.

5. pauliewalnuts90 - Jul 13, 2013 at 1:52 PM

He really stood out in the summer league no surprise someone snatched him up. I hear they really needed a beet farmer.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches