Hawks will match offer, keep Jeff Teague in Atlanta

Jul 13, 2013, 6:46 PM EDT

Jeff Teague AP

It’s not what Jeff Teague wanted, but it’s the smart move by Atlanta.

The Hawks are going to match the four-year, $32 million offer by the Milwaukee Bucks and will keep Teague in Atlanta, reports the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

Teague had signed the offer sheet Wednesday with Milwaukee and had told Hawks GM Danny Ferry he wanted to leave.

But the way restricted free agency works is it lets the marketplace set a price for a player coming off his rookie contract and lets the team that has him decide if they want to match. It may have felt cold to Teague after Milwaukee wooed him (and remember the Bucks hired former Hawks coach Larry Drew) but the price set was a fair one. Ferry made the right call here.

Teague averaged 14.2 points and 7.8 assists per game last season. He’s a solid three-point shooter and a decent defender within the team system. He’s an above average point guard and this is a fitting contract size.

That leaves the Bucks without a point guard and their restricted free agent Brandon Jennings still trying to get a deal from someone. Don’t be shocked now if the Bucks and Jennings pick up the pace on negotiations now.

1. JMClarkent - Jul 13, 2013 at 6:57 PM

If I am the Bucks, I wait for him to get an offer elsewhere and then match. I don;t think there are a lot of teams who need a PG who have the cap space necessary to give BJ a monster offer (especially with Atlanta off of the table).

• notunbelievable - Jul 13, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Agreed. The other option is that BJ just decides to play out the last year of his rookie deal in Milwaukee and becomes an UFA next summer. That’s risky for Brandon but if he doesn’t want to be in Milwaukee long term than that is probably his only option since the Bucks will likely match any offer he signs as a restricted free agent.

2. jturbo1402003 - Jul 13, 2013 at 7:29 PM

This is why its worth it to take & play out the 1 year qualifying offer so in the year after you become an unrestricted FA. You won’t get the $$ you get with a long term deal but you get the freedom to pick your team & fit.
    Or a player was smart they would negotiate a player option into the contract 1 time after the 1st year so when the team your in say in this case the Hawks match the contract you can still leave after one year & not be locked in for 4 years. Also if the player had a bad year or gets injured they still have the option not to opt out.

• Kevin S. - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Not allowed under the CBA: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q57

3. bellerophon30 - Jul 13, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Oh Brandon, your qualifying offer is calling!

4. dezglobal - Jul 13, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Waste of money to sign someone who dsnt want to be there.

• tontoepstein - Jul 14, 2013 at 4:17 AM

Anderson Varejao said the same thing in 2007 when he was holding out as a restricted free agent. Then, Varejao’s agent Dan Fagen proceeded to clobber Ferry in 2007, and again in 2009. Humiliated and demolished Ferry. Ferry is among the league’s very worst tacticians and negotatiators, and just might be the worst. Like he did to Cleveland, he’s eventually going to leave the Hawks in ruins.

5. wwttww - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:15 PM

We’ll trade him in a year.

6. xxbomberxx - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Im a Bucks fan, and when the alert came over my phone I was in line at the grocery store…I said “Damn!” I guess I said it loud because the lady behind me looked back. But I stared daggers right through her like she was Danny Ferry… She quickly turned around w/o saying a word.

I was looking forward to him coming here, how often does a player say he WANTS to come to Milwaukee… Damn

7. tigers182 - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Nothing says championship team like your court leader publicly saying he doesn’t want to play for you.

Hawks never made an offer to him until someone else wanted him. Sounds like a baby who wants another baby’s toy.

8. 00maltliquor - Jul 13, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Did I call it or what!

Poor Jeff. If a player really wants to bolt, I feel teams should honor that wish. It’s not like Teague is a make you franchise or break your franchise player anyway.

• Kevin S. - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Then why bother having restricted free agency? If a player wants to bolt, he has the option to sign the QO. I have some degree of sympathy here, because no rookie was ever represented by the union at the time they negotiated the rules governing their RFA, but that’s the system they have.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Yeah, I get that. I just feel that teams should respect a players wishes, regardless of what the CBA allows them to do. There’s a word I’m searching for but I can’t quite spit it out….

• Kevin S. - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:27 PM

The thing is, players often develop that desire to leave because their current teams are using RFA the way it was designed to be used (letting other teams set the market and then making a decision). Nic Batum, Eric Gordon and now Teague all wanted to leave in large part because their current teams didn’t aggressively court them, but that’s because the Blazers, Pellies and Hawks knew they would match anything reasonable and therefore wouldn’t bid against themselves.

9. moneymike23 - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Please don’t bring Jennings back. I would rather have Ridnour start and I thought he did a good job in his first stint w/ Bucks.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:40 AM

You’re a Bucks fan? You guys really can’t stand Jennings THAT much?

10. fless43 - Jul 14, 2013 at 2:04 AM

00Malt, I’ve been a Bucks season ticket holder the last 9 years or so. I’d call myself a fan. And to answer your question, Yes, we hate Brandon Jennings THAT much. He’s nothing but a petulant,whiny brat. He shoots 40%, does not play team basketball, and couldn’t defend you or I in a glass box. He’s also regressed every single season. While the though of a few more years of this clown terrify me, I do enjoy the fact that he’s probably being knocked down a few pegs this off season as he has drawn NO interest in the open market. Couldn’t happen to a better guy. For the record, I agree with Moneymike. I’ll gladly take Ridnour over Jennings.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 14, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Wow, interesting. Thanks for the comment.

11. cmart0907 - Jul 14, 2013 at 5:46 AM

If somebody don’t want to be there let them leave. I.hope it backfires on Atlanta. Just don’t make no sense if you ask me.

12. mannyicey - Jul 15, 2013 at 6:20 AM

This isn’t Pick-up or AAU basketball! In the NBA, you play where you are being paid! You signed a CONTRACT! That means you play and play well- regardless of whether or not you WANT to play there! This is a business!

You guys kill me! If Jeff Teague wants to pay his mortgage and car payments, he will play at the high level for ANYONE! If he wants a big contract later, he’ll put his personal feelings aside and make money playing basketball!

Wow! If every NBA player had the option to play for who they wanted to, there wouldn’t be many teams left! I mean, who really wants to play for Memphis? Or Sacramento?

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches