Jul 13, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
Harrington and Turkoglu don’t expect the Magic to keep them.
Like Turkoglu, Harrington also has a partially guaranteed salary for 2013-14 ($7,148,600, half guaranteed). Unlike Turkoglu, whose contract expires after the season, Harrington also has a partially guaranteed 2014-15 salary ($7,609,800, half guaranteed).
So, the Magic have a bit more control over Harrington’s future, and contrary to my advice to Turkoglu, Harrington might need to accept less than he’s guaranteed in order to get his freedom sooner. But he can still show some patience.
Even if contenders fill their rosters today, spots will come open before the playoffs. If a contender wants the 33-year-old Harrington – no guarantee, considering he played in just 10 games last season and performed pretty poorly in that, admittedly small, sample – there will still be time to get on a roster. For veterans like Turkoglu, the playoffs are the whole point, anyway.
For the Magic, it’s all about getting young players experience and tanking, two goals that go hand in hand. Veterans stuck on rebuilding teams, often pushed to the bench in favor of the franchise’s long-term goals, sometimes become malcontents. Rather than putting Turkoglu and Harrington in that position, Orlando will just buy them out.
This seems like a matter of when, not if, it happens.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 7
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)