Jul 13, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
Harrington and Turkoglu don’t expect the Magic to keep them.
Like Turkoglu, Harrington also has a partially guaranteed salary for 2013-14 ($7,148,600, half guaranteed). Unlike Turkoglu, whose contract expires after the season, Harrington also has a partially guaranteed 2014-15 salary ($7,609,800, half guaranteed).
So, the Magic have a bit more control over Harrington’s future, and contrary to my advice to Turkoglu, Harrington might need to accept less than he’s guaranteed in order to get his freedom sooner. But he can still show some patience.
Even if contenders fill their rosters today, spots will come open before the playoffs. If a contender wants the 33-year-old Harrington – no guarantee, considering he played in just 10 games last season and performed pretty poorly in that, admittedly small, sample – there will still be time to get on a roster. For veterans like Turkoglu, the playoffs are the whole point, anyway.
For the Magic, it’s all about getting young players experience and tanking, two goals that go hand in hand. Veterans stuck on rebuilding teams, often pushed to the bench in favor of the franchise’s long-term goals, sometimes become malcontents. Rather than putting Turkoglu and Harrington in that position, Orlando will just buy them out.
This seems like a matter of when, not if, it happens.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 3
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 32
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (57)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)